BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Much like many here, I use mobil1 0W-40, don’t live in a very cold area. At every oil change, oil is a dark yellow.

When I started, it was syrup at every change (3k mile intervals)

EDIT: I should add that I am at 208k miles now.
I'm with you on 0W-40! i'm in warm climate with 206k miles now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Any consumption? I don’t have any since I changed to the m56 valve cover and removed the stock CCV.
Still some because I've been too busy/ lazy to do one of the fixes (CCV, catch can, O2 mod, valve cover) ... But it def feels like less, which is why i switched.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Still some because I've been too busy/ lazy to do one of the fixes (CCV, catch can, O2 mod, valve cover) ... But it def feels like less, which is why i switched.
I don’t remember the reason I switched, but I did and never looked back haha. If you’re interested, I believe Arch is selling an m56 full conversation on the m56 valve cover thread. Very much worth it!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don’t remember the reason I switched, but I did and never looked back haha. If you’re interested, I believe Arch is selling an m56 full conversation on the m56 valve cover thread. Very much worth it!
Good to kno, thanks! Now if only someone would do it for me, ha!

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
589 Posts
My E46 has never burned or leaked a drop of oil. I change the oil every two years which in reality, adds up to about 3-4k miles. Not all E46's burn oil.
I would like to wish you the car to stay this way. Unfortunatley, oil consumption is inevitable. You approaching this mileage.
If I understood you right, you drive a car 4K within 2 years?

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
274 Posts
My E46 has never burned or leaked a drop of oil. I change the oil every two years which in reality, adds up to about 3-4k miles. Not all E46's burn oil.
M52TU? My e46 328i didn't burn a drop either. The M54 in the 330i however....

·
Registered
243 Posts
define simple:)

Btw, my garage is 105C these days. A fan helps a little but the humidity means I can be in there for 30 min max at a time.
A 28 hour job, pull the engine out, drop the gas tank and have the dash out o_O

It took me about an hour excluding waiting for the paint to dry.

Fair point about the heat though, do it during winter. I usually do labor intensive work during winter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If even that much. My last change interval was 3800 miles. It hadn't burned a drop in those 3800 miles.
It is all good with that mileage and oil change every 5k. yet, it is matter of time, although you might never reach 300K))

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
define simple:)

Btw, my garage is 105C these days. A fan helps a little but the humidity means I can be in there for 30 min max at a time.
221F seems a little high, the humidity would be steam.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,991 Posts
Same. No consumption at 180k. I did at some point but an engine flush took care of that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
5W40/0w40 works just great. (I know a motor using 10w60 for years and it also works fine). Short service intervals are far more important than viscosity index, or even a brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Up to 250,000 miles, Mobil1 0w-40 every 15,500 miles. Currently at 270,000 miles, I have reset the oil change interval to 7,500 miles. Still Mobil1 0w-40.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts