E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ahve a 330ci and i was wondering if i will be able to fit wheels with 32mm offset in the rear without rolling my fenders?..........my car is not lowered..........and i am thinking of putting 255/35/18 tires in the back ..........

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
743 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Umm... The problem with that offset is that you'll rub on the shock. You ought to be WELL clear of the fender.
It's the other way around... the higher the offset number, the farther inside the wheelwell the wheel sits. An offset this low means the wheel is sticking farther outside the wheelwell.

You wouldn't be able to roll the fender enough to keep the tire from rubbing it, I think.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,359 Posts
Antroiny said:

It's the other way around... the higher the offset number, the farther inside the wheelwell the wheel sits. An offset this low means the wheel is sticking farther outside the wheelwell.

You wouldn't be able to roll the fender enough to keep the tire from rubbing it, I think.
Umm, no. That's only with NEGATIVE offset. Bimmer wheels (possibly excepting fugly, ludicrous deep dish wheels) all have POSITIVE offset. A lower POSITIVE offset moves the rim closer to the shocks.

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
743 Posts
So you're saying that an 18x8 wheel with 35mm offset will sit closer to the shock than an 18x8 wheel with 40mm offset? That can't be right.

I think we may be trying to say the same thing here, but it's somehow getting lost in translation.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Antroiny said:
So you're saying that an 18x8 wheel with 35mm offset will sit closer to the shock than an 18x8 wheel with 40mm offset? That can't be right.

I think we may be trying to say the same thing here, but it's somehow getting lost in translation.
Most wheels nowadays except some maybe crazy Eurostyle deep dish wheels are positive (+) offsets, eg. +44mm for most hamann 19x10s and +38mm for the fronts eg. 19x8.5.
Offset of +32mm in a 18x9 is closer to an M3 or maybe E39/E38 offset.
So far I've never seen a wheel with negative (-) offset personally, the lowest I've seen are the ones on our project supra widebody which is +10mm on an 18x10 and +12mm on an 18x12.

·
You can have your E9X
67 Posts
18x8 wheel: 35mm offset will put you out more towards fender than 40mm.End of story.This thread has gotten crazy.
The low offset is exactly why rear M3 wheels will not fit Non M3 E46 cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.