BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great deal on an OEM M3 bumper. Can I run that and be compliant with the rules? The rule state USDM OEM, not 330 specific...

The rule is: Bumpers must be USDM OEM or non-M3 fitment replica of USDM M3.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you read the rule, you actually answer your own question.

If it is an actual M3 bumper, it is illegal. If it is the non-M3 replica, it is legal.

FYI...a real M3 bumper won't fit the 330i or ci correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following up on this older post - why not a USDM M3 bumper? If the replicas are identical to the USDM M3 (and which also typically require modification for fitment), why the distinction in the rules? Is there some advantage to an USDM M3 bumper versus a replica the rules are trying to mitigate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I looked into this more. The replicas are made to fit a non-M car.
An OEM M3 bumper is about 2” wider on either side to blend into the wider fender wheel arches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks - really appreciate the quick response. I have an '06 E46 M3 and was replacing its bumper and at the same time was working on my '03 330Ci which I am building to SE46. The only difference I can find between a non-M replica and the OEM M3 cover is a plastic bracket which can be popped off, and a ridge on the inside of the OEM M3 bumper designed to fit the composite M3 mount (as opposed the aluminum non-M3 mount) which could be easily ground off. The width is not enough to cause it to not fit as the non-M uses the same plastic brackets. Interesting rule, but I guess it is the rule! Thanks again for taking time to research it for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep!
I did get the M3 bumper, set it on the car the other day and it would definitely take a significant amount of work to get it to fit up nicely. Headlights don’t match up, grill width is wider. I won’t be racing spec for a while so I’m planning to hack it and zip tie to fit for the time being.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts