E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this place, and they have the Fluid for the 5HP19 Transmission, and it is not a substitute, or an equivalent (which really are not equivalents, since they only claim to be 71141 "Compatible", which is not the same), but it is the real deal, ZF branded stuff. This is good news, but the better news is that it is $14.50 a quart for a case of 6, with free shipping! They sell this stuff on BavAuto for $16.95+shipping, and my favorite part vendor, RMEuropean, sells it for $20.62, which is odd, since they have lower prices for any other part, than I have found anywhere else, even BMW coolant, shipped free.
They also have filter kits for $46.
They also sell parts, for pretty good prices, and complete transmissions. I will try to get some pricing info from them on that as well.
It is not often that we get good news, or find a bargain when it comes to the Automatics on these cars, so this is a good thing, I think.
I searched the forums, and I did not find any mention of this place. If, for some reason, this place is somehow common knowledge, then sorry for the re-post. I ordered 2 cases, and I only really need 8qts, so if some others out there want to just buy a case, and PM me to buy the other 1 or 2 you will need, I will sell them for cost + actual shipping.
I know that this is not the Esso LT71141 that the dealers sell, or, it may be. I am going to call tomorrow to clarify that. But it is the fluid that ZF specifies and sells for their own transmissions, which is good enough for me, and better than risking some "equivalent".
Please don't turn this into a debate about what "other" fluid works best, or point out that it is not the BMW fluid. There are hundreds of threads with endless debate about "other" fluids, and how good or bad they are, and I don't want another debate thread. I am just passing a place that sells ZF fluids, at a good price. Let's try to just leave it at that. If you want a debate, start your own fvcking thread. I will verify if this is the same fluid BMW sells, and update.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=57&pg=1

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That looks like a good buy. When I replaced my fluid, I bought the VW packaged LT71141 version for $15.20 per liter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ZF ATF Service

Nice find :thumbsup:

I'm going to the ZF factory Service shop in Germany this Juli (ZF Dortmund). They are going to drop the oil pan, take out the control unit, wire harness and solenoids. They will clean and replace parts, flush the complete system and top it off again :excited: They will flush the differential-drive also. (Total cost $ 350,- including 10 mile test drive by head mechanic Herr Carl Sagert)

I'll try to confirm your findings also, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Esso LT71141 in those bottles. If BMW can re-brand Castrol to BMW Oil, why not re-brand Esso to ZF Oil :hmm: But I wouldn't dare to debate about that :lmao:

Edit: From ZF website; a claim/quote they make it their self...

"The high performance transmission oil ZF LifeguardFluid, recommended and manufactured by ZF, reduces material wear, vibrations and noise. This ensures smoother gear shifting, reduced service intervals and maximum consumption reduction."

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
fluid is fluid. Why not use Redline D4 ATF?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fluid is fluid. Why not use Redline D4 ATF?
I'm not going to debate that. There are dozens of other threads that go on forever, with debates about this. If it works for you, then great. I have read way more on this subject that most people have, and I have made my choice.
I want to use the correct fluid. I found a source that sells it for a low price, and I passed it on to the rest of the forum. End of story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts