BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this noise every morning when you start the car?

The weather is getting colder and each morning I turn on the car, I hear this rattling noise. It sounds like something is lose and then it goes away in about 5 seconds. I think it might be the heat shield but I can't say for sure. Do you guys have similar situation each morning when you start the car?

I hope it's nothing serious because I just got this car about a month ago. It's a 2003 325i

BMWBOY88

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
175 Posts
it is an like an alarm sound.?

that's normal mate... on the cold weather the car make this sound for u to know that the road could be very icy... black ice and so on...

it will go away in the spring...

cheers mate:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's not the ice alart.
It's the inital start of the car where there is a rattling noise. Sounds like 2 metal parts rattling inside a metal can sound (hope this makes sense)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mine does the same, it makes more of a creaking-popping-of-metal sound during the first 15 seconds of warming up, then it goes away when its about halfway into the blue zone of the temperature guage

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cecil328i said:
mine does the same, it makes more of a creaking-popping-of-metal sound during the first 15 seconds of warming up, then it goes away when its about halfway into the blue zone of the temperature guage

Yes, that's it! It's more of a creaking-popping metal sound. It goes away as soon as the engine is warm up.

Is this normal? Does all BMW do that when the engine is cold?
Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
92 Posts
mine too

mine does the same thing. it is a 2003 325i as well. let m know what you find out. mine has done it since the day i bought it. i dont like it one bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it also stalls right away sometimes after a long time without being started, then it starts right up the next time. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
im gonna say its normal just because the car hasnt been on for awhile and its very cool. if the noises didnt go away after it warmed up, i'd say something is wrong, but mine goes away after like 15 seconds.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
same here, when i press the gas, it goes away. mine is like a screeching sound.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the same problem on my '02 330. The dealer said it was some belt and tensioner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sometimes Ill start my car, and I swear it sounds like a diesel engine when its cold outside... I was kinda wondering what caused it too, but it seems fairly normal...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts