E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering... i had a civic before w/ intake & DC 4-1 header... seems like no matter what bolt ons i put on this car it was just plain BS.... no dramatic differences... nothing that was worth the money... the best bolt on i did was the cheapest... some performance spark plug wires(and that made very little difference).... all seemed like a waste of $... the only mod i did on the car where there was a big difference was when i swapped out the motor.. seemed like all the intake did was make my car louder, eat more gas and made it idle funny(even though i oiled it correctly). is this any different in the case of an e46??? do u guys actually notice any REAL increase in performance? what mod out there actually makes a real difference besides nos, supercharger or turbo? i'm talking about a difference u can feel during the course of regular driving and not just cause u beat ur friends car by 1/2 car lengths when u race(ur friend has same car)... basically i think all bolt ons are BS(from experience)... can anyone think of a mod that can change my opinion on this?

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,051 Posts
How about getting a new differential. I constantly keep hearing that a new rear end will make more of a difference than an intake, ecu and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Dramatic difference? Not with simple bolt-ons. I think you'd need at least a 10% power gain to really "feel" something dramatic. That's about 22hp on the 330i, which means intake, exhaust, chip, pulleys, the whole gamut of bolt-ons available. One simple bolt-on isn't going to do it. Unfortunately, the power-to-cost ratio of modding a BMW is bad.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,561 Posts
i just put my benfer CF intake on yesterday. the power increase is small though, but should be a bit better in conjunction with exhaust, software, pullies. that combo u would notice

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just have a benfer CAI right now, but I was able to feel a difference. Not really before 3500RPM though. But after that I can really feel the difference. I'm not saying that I got more gains than anybody else, but I can actually feel the difference.

At least with an intake you won't feel the gains until the higher rpm's. And I know you said you didn't want to hear anything about winning a race or what have you - but going between 95-110 I was walkin' away from a buddy of mine with a stock 325.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i got mine on about a week ago...no real dramatic difference, but sounds good anyways.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Intake and Exhaust made my car louder.... nothing really noticeable. Sounds faster thought. :nyah:

I'm thinking about selling the car and just getting something that's fast stock / has more potential. I was thinking about getting a blower for my car, but then I'm going to run into smog issues. Anyone know of a California smog legal blower?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think bolt on mods for our cars will yield very little gains on our cars.

Doing lightweight flywheel, pulley and a shorter diff would yield more noticeable performance gain.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm.... ic... i guess i'll just stay away from bolt ons... maybe save up for SC....hahha...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cams and ECU

Hi Bimmer88,

Before going for a Super Charger, try to change your Cams with a new program for your ECU and your will feel some seriuos difference in your bimmer.

Before I charged my Bimmer (330Ci), I installed Cams and ECU and there was some real diff.

Rakony:pimpin:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Cams and ECU

Rakony said:
Hi Bimmer88,

Before going for a Super Charger, try to change your Cams with a new program for your ECU and your will feel some seriuos difference in your bimmer.

Before I charged my Bimmer (330Ci), I installed Cams and ECU and there was some real diff.

Rakony:pimpin:
hmmm...sounds interesting... don't those hurt ur engine tho?

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
I think at least as far as the 3.0 goes, bolt ons are definately noticeble. If you check out how tiny our exhaust/piping is, and how crappily designed the stock intake system is, you will feel like our car is breathing/farting through a straw....Before i got my exhaust installed, i did a 0-100run same day. After i got my exhaust i did the same run(same day, hour later), and was able to chirp third. The whole power curve seemed to be smoothed out, and the car felt like it was breathing much more freely(especially up top). Im definately planning on getting a Gruppe M intake very soon....and the dyno of 12rwhp, is very good for an intake imho.

I want to see what i can put down/what kind of times i can get with a 3.15/3.38 diff, intake, exhaust, throttle body, software....
Later will add clutch/flywheel, cams, headers.....I'm hoping that my car will see 13's.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rakony said:
NO, they won't harm your engine if you got it as a KIT. You need the right software, that it :)
how much did it cost u for the kit??

·
Modelrater
739 Posts
I put on my TSE2 recently and I surely felt the difference. :thumbup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have JC intake, shark injector and AA exhaust and I can tell the difference for sure. Not breaking the sound barrier but def. a nice difference. The big upgrade will be my 3.38 rear diff. in about 2 months. That should be NICE. Pulleys haven't convinced me yet, headers are too $$$$ and no one wants to install cams. Flywheel should be coming when I need a new clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts