BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do turn signals have to be orange even though you clear everything?

do I have to buy the stealth bulbs for all my lights? or can I just buy xenon match bulbs for my car and be alright without getting in trouble for my lights?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Fvk that, I have xenon white LED turn signals. Car already had clear covers. I hated that amber shyt. Cops don't do crap for something like that. Not like someone isn't going to get the point about a blinking light for left or right if its not amber.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No, it use to be illegal but not its not. Same thing for lowered cars. Back in the days lowered cars had to be over a certain minimal height off the ground requirement. Now the law states that cars can be lowered but the lowest part of the car cannot be lower than the the lowest part of the rim on your car. Times changed and so did the laws on modifying cars. If i can find that web page i'll post it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I currently have clear tails and a spare set of LED's in the back of my car, but the turn signal lights blink so fast when I activate them. I also have the LEDs on the front corners and sides (along with the necesary resistor to keep from getting the bulb out warning on the dash). What bulbs do you recommend to put in the rear with my clear tails?

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK...this is a bit confusing for me (sorry, slow learner)

Does it mean that I can change the housing/casings into clear but the bulbs have to be still amber, to be considered legal in Calif? Wouldn't it be looked funny?

·
Registered
431 Posts
OK...this is a bit confusing for me (sorry, slow learner)

Does it mean that I can change the housing/casings into clear but the bulbs have to be still amber, to be considered legal in Calif? Wouldn't it be looked funny?
The have to light up/blink amber. That can mean they are amber and you get an egg yolk look during the day, or you get stealth bulbs that appear chrome until they light up amber, or you get an led bulb.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
No, they do not have to blink amber. You can have bulbs that blink white OR amber in the front. In the rear, they must blink either amber or red.

The casings/housings themselves can be clear so long as the bulb blinks either amber or white in the front and amber or red in the rear.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
No, they do not have to blink amber. You can have bulbs that blink white OR amber in the front. In the rear, they must blink either amber or red.

The casings/housings themselves can be clear so long as the bulb blinks either amber or white in the front and amber or red in the rear.
Casing can be clear, but legally, you need to have an amber reflector up front and red reflector in the back.

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
No, it use to be illegal but not its not. Same thing for lowered cars. Back in the days lowered cars had to be over a certain minimal height off the ground requirement. Now the law states that cars can be lowered but the lowest part of the car cannot be lower than the the lowest part of the rim on your car. Times changed and so did the laws on modifying cars. If i can find that web page i'll post it.
in md, it has to be either an amber lens cover or an amber bulb in a clear lens cover...

but, screw that, i am rocking blacked out corners with xenon colored leds :rofl:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

My brother ordered euro clear casings for me from jlevi yesterday (i think) and I suppose to get the bulbs but just to play safe, I'll see what color it blinks out of the new casings. Can't really imagine it - still not familiar with the car. :)

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

My brother ordered euro clear casings for me from jlevi yesterday (i think) and I suppose to get the bulbs but just to play safe, I'll see what color it blinks out of the new casings. Can't really imagine it - still not familiar with the car. :)
Enjoy the new clears and send our thanks to your bro :thumbup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Casing can be clear, but legally, you need to have an amber reflector up front and red reflector in the back.
Here's the Vehicle Code section for California:

(a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.​

Doesn't say anything about reflectors, just the color of the light that projects forward, backward and sideways. This applies to California only. Your results may differ.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i think it should be illegal for turning lights in the rear to be red cause there harder to see and the blend in with the brake lights

1 - 19 of 19 Posts