E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came upon one of these on fb marketplace for 70$ and decided “fuck it” i want to make this thing more reliable so i pick the thing up measure it and it seems to be an e46 expansion tank according to mishimoto. spoiler alert, didn’t work. the bracket and plugs that the expansion tank is pressed into does not clear and so naturally i cut off the plugs and made it work anyway... nope still leaking from what i think is the heater core hose (could be wrong) and not from the big one that seems to be dead. automatic transmission cooler? my car is a six speed. ordered all new oem bracket and expansion tank. fml if anyone wants the expansion tank for a race car or whatever, pm me it’s yours for 50$ (gotta recoup somthn) plus shipping if you’re not local to san diego

·
Premium Member
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,009 Posts
Yep, that initiative was a disaster. You can read the whole sordid tale here:

The ironic part is that the expansion tank isn't meant to be the weakest link in the cooling system; replace your rad cap with a lower pressure rating and you won't have to worry about the tank exploding any more.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
1,255 Posts
Yep, that initiative was a disaster. You can read the whole sordid tale here:

The ironic part is that the expansion tank isn't meant to be the weakest link in the cooling system; replace your rad cap with a lower pressure rating and you won't have to worry about the tank exploding any more.
+1 on that.

I've got the GAS 1.2bar cap, and it certainly hasn't given any trouble yet in an extremely hot Australian summer. Been watching the hidden dash temp function like a hawk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 1.2 bar cap for sure, turns out newer bmw designs are using this pressure rating on coolant caps as the industry standard is 1.0-1.4 bar for failure BEFORE catastrophic damage is done. 2.0 bar is just more pressure than is needed, but I wasn't aware of this solution until now. Cheers.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,147 Posts
Alternatively you could get the radiator cap for an E30 which is rated at 1.4bar from the dealer, same design as the e46 one just different pressure rating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.