E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions.

For those of you running a kit with a lower boost level; 4,5, or 6 lbs, did you have to send your ecu off to get it remapped? I was wondering because I have a vortech charger and do not want to put on an intercooler right now. Therefore, I am going to buy a larger pulley with lower boost levels, about 5. I've heard that you don't always need to have custom software loaded into your car.

I bought 30lb injectors. Do I need these at only 5lbs of boost and if so do I need some sort of FMU or pressure regulator? Any of you who are mechanical and work on your own setups can hopefully provide some insight before I start. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
slowguy said:
Two questions.

For those of you running a kit with a lower boost level; 4,5, or 6 lbs, did you have to send your ecu off to get it remapped? I was wondering because I have a vortech charger and do not want to put on an intercooler right now. Therefore, I am going to buy a larger pulley with lower boost levels, about 5. I've heard that you don't always need to have custom software loaded into your car.

I bought 30lb injectors. Do I need these at only 5lbs of boost and if so do I need some sort of FMU or pressure regulator? Any of you who are mechanical and work on your own setups can hopefully provide some insight before I start. Thanks in advance.

Just a sec....what are you running for fuel management, are you adding a RRFPR?

Is this something you are just throwing together?

You should have custom software for 30# injectors, those are huge!

Got anymore details on your setup ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I will probably get flamed for this but I am building a charger setup as a weekend project. My Mercedes is the daily driver and I have the 3 series in the garage ready to mod. I am doing the complete install over the next few months.

I am putting the entire system together bit by bit. I am mimicking the VT1 ess system. If I can do the first setup alright then I will add an intercooler and a larger pulley later on. It's easy to find a used Vortech sq charger for under $1000 dollars. I have bought three fairly comprehensive books on charging and I am a mechanic (not auto) by trade so I know how to use tools.

I bought 30lb injectors that were made by AA, which I have been told are porsche injectors. I will eventually send the ecu to ESS to have them re-tune. I just thought that with a low enough boost, no modification was necessary to the ecu.

·
Registered
0 Posts
slowguy said:
I know I will probably get flamed for this but I am building a charger setup as a weekend project. My Mercedes is the daily driver and I have the 3 series in the garage ready to mod. I am doing the complete install over the next few months.

I am putting the entire system together bit by bit. I am mimicking the VT1 ess system. If I can do the first setup alright then I will add an intercooler and a larger pulley later on. It's easy to find a used Vortech sq charger for under $1000 dollars. I have bought three fairly comprehensive books on charging and I am a mechanic (not auto) by trade so I know how to use tools.

I bought 30lb injectors that were made by AA, which I have been told are porsche injectors. I will eventually send the ecu to ESS to have them re-tune. I just thought that with a low enough boost, no modification was necessary to the ecu.
Just to save you some time. ESS will not retune your "Custom Kit" There are way too many variables for them to be able to tune just off you saying you put 30lb injecotrs in your car, etc.

If you put a RRFPR in the car without software you will find you are running lean and throwing codes out the ass. I know, I had an ERT kit on my car (it sucks, never buy ERT.) Their E46 kit basically consists of them strapping a blower on with a rrfpr, no software nor injectors. Needless to say, I didn't even make it 2 miles before I got my first fault code and went into limp mode. It sucked that bad.

You may have some luck with getting AA to tune it, but won't have much luck with tuning unless you take it to them in FL. Just a quick question, but where are you getting the bracket to mount the s/c, how are you tapping in for the oil line to the sc (V2SQ I guess you are using?) Talk to ESS, they will sway you from going roll your own kit. It will save you money and your enginein the longrun.

There are a lot of older ESS kits up for sale now in the 2-3k range. You should probably just pick up one of these. I just sold one recently.

Either way, good luck in your supercharging adventures.

-Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doofoo said:
Just to save you some time. ESS will not retune your "Custom Kit" There are way too many variables for them to be able to tune just off you saying you put 30lb injecotrs in your car, etc.

If you put a RRFPR in the car without software you will find you are running lean and throwing codes out the ass. I know, I had an ERT kit on my car (it sucks, never buy ERT.) Their E46 kit basically consists of them strapping a blower on with a rrfpr, no software nor injectors. Needless to say, I didn't even make it 2 miles before I got my first fault code and went into limp mode. It sucked that bad.

You may have some luck with getting AA to tune it, but won't have much luck with tuning unless you take it to them in FL. Just a quick question, but where are you getting the bracket to mount the s/c, how are you tapping in for the oil line to the sc (V2SQ I guess you are using?) Talk to ESS, they will sway you from going roll your own kit. It will save you money and your enginein the longrun.

There are a lot of older ESS kits up for sale now in the 2-3k range. You should probably just pick up one of these. I just sold one recently.

Either way, good luck in your supercharging adventures.

-Mike
I can take it to Florida to have it tuned, that would not be a problem. Any parts I need, like tapping into the oil pan, I was told I can buy from ess. Same goes for the mounting bracket. As far as the mounting goes though, I could have it made locally at a machine shop.

·
Registered
0 Posts
slowguy said:
I can take it to Florida to have it tuned, that would not be a problem. Any parts I need, like tapping into the oil pan, I was told I can buy from ess. Same goes for the mounting bracket. As far as the mounting goes though, I could have it made locally at a machine shop.
I think if you buy most of those specialty parts from ESS at the prices they are going to sell them to you, you are going to be looking at about the same price you would pay for a used kit.

-Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts