E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Der Meisterstück
2,346 Posts
You should first have the new wheels checked. Most likely theyre not balanced. Even new wheels and tires need to be balanced. If you bought them mailorder, sometimes the lead weights could theoretically have fallen off.

If the wheels are balanced and "true", then your best bet is to have your car's alignment checked.

Another thing I noticed is that youre upgrading from 16" wheels to 19" wheels, and you are probably not used to the wider contact patch as well as added sensitivity that the 19" wheels are to the road compared to the 16" wheels. Tramlining is something that you can not control, its basically the way the roads are in your neck of the woods. And your car's wheels are basically following the "ruts" in the road.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
it would be good if you did, because the camber settings are probably off its typical after installation of 19's and the problem is corrected when you have your car aligned, but like he said your wheels might just be pulling with the road because the there is less thickness so it follows the ruts in the road

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Find a perfectly flat, perfectly smooth road. Get it up to 40 or 50 going perfectly straight and release the wheel. If it still pulls, it's radial tire pull. If it doesn't, you're just not used to tramlining. Your tires are a lot stickier and bigger now. And your bigger tires have a much shorter track because YOU PLUS SIZED 3 INCHES!!! ;)

But to answer your question, if your new wheels have a similar offset and you bought tires with a similar circumference to your old ones, you should not need an alignment.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteelBlueXI said:
Find a perfectly flat, perfectly smooth road. Get it up to 40 or 50 going perfectly straight and release the wheel. If it still pulls, it's radial tire pull. If it doesn't, you're just not used to tramlining. Your tires are a lot stickier and bigger now. And your bigger tires have a much shorter track because YOU PLUS SIZED 3 INCHES!!! ;)

But to answer your question, if your new wheels have a similar offset and you bought tires with a similar circumference to your old ones, you should not need an alignment.
My tire shop balanced the wheel/tires. I have little weights on my wheels.
Thanks guys i'll check this out.

Steelblue, why dont u tell me a good road since your in westchester, heh.

im in NYC, but goto school on central ave.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also have this problem on my car, except I went from 19 to 17. I brought it back to the dealer and they told me its the problem with my tires. They said low profile performace tires tend to pull to one side, whereas, the regular tires are straight. If its not too bad, I wouldn't mind too much if it pulls a little to one side. :)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
My tire shop balanced the wheel/tires. I have little weights on my wheels.
Thanks guys i'll check this out.

Steelblue, why dont u tell me a good road since your in westchester, heh.

im in NYC, but goto school on central ave.
A good road in Westchester? Ha! :spit: My car is falling apart from all the potholes.

I guess your best bet would be to try I-87 southbound south of 287. :dunno:

Where do you go to school? I assume WBI if it's on Central Ave? If that's the case, you're like a mile from where I live. :)

You should come to our Westchester BBQ in a few weeks. See the events section.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SteelBlueXI said:
A good road in Westchester? Ha! :spit: My car is falling apart from all the potholes.

I guess your best bet would be to try I-87 southbound south of 287. :dunno:

Where do you go to school? I assume WBI if it's on Central Ave? If that's the case, you're like a mile from where I live. :)

You should come to our Westchester BBQ in a few weeks. See the events section.

Yep, WBI. My car is usually parked in front of the school. I'll try that road ....

I might come to the BBQ if im around!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
PLAZAMAN said:
Yep, WBI. My car is usually parked in front of the school. I'll try that road ....

I might come to the BBQ if im around!
Cool, I live just off of North Broadway in White Plains between 287 and the Westchester mall. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 325 with 19" Visions on it. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not to steal the thread but since were on the subject. Im my stearing wheel shack's, is that Balance or alignment? You can feel it more in the freeway and it's minimal but it does shake. I bought the car last week and I doubt it should do this. Should I get that check asap? Im actually thinking it might be something worst. They do sit on stock rims and it's not dumped.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd have it realigned and if the tires still pull to the right i'd swap the two front rims and tires. If it starts to pull to the left then you know it's radial pull... This happened to me when I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires... They ended up giving me a new set of Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's...

Hope this helps.

VC

PLAZAMAN said:
I recently changed my stock 16s to 19s.

Now my car pulls to the right.

no suspension changes

help.. i dont want 2 wear my tires out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.