E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Here is a brief video of my 05 M3. 70k. As far as I know, it has NOT had a full insp II done as of yet. As you can hear, there is a ticking thats driving me nuts. Is it valve train noise? Exhaust leak ?? Bottom end :yikes: noise ??

What do you guys think ? A local indi shop told me that I did NOT need a valve job, but I'm skeptical.

Any thoughts ??

http://youtu.be/tGAJAv-J3JA

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
What oil you using? Do your inspection II. Check for intake leaks and bad pulleys. Add Techron per instructions.

Gummi Pflege it. Then call me a week or two later!

Then I'll say another tank of Techron. Also, drink more heavily and turn up the radio!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What oil you using? Do your inspection II. Check for intake leaks and bad pulleys. Add Techron per instructions.

Gummi Pflege it. Then call me a week or two later!

Then I'll say another tank of Techron. Also, drink more heavily and turn up the radio!
Just changed the oil to Liquimoly 10w-60. Used the free oil filter from Bavarianmotorsports.

Inspection II is coming up i think. Gonna try a different indi shop.

Did a bottle of techron about 500 miles ago.

Thinking about seafoaming the car as well.

I drink like a fish so I cant drink any more without killing myself.

I don't really listen to the radio since I love the way my catback sounds :clap:

Thanks dude

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds normal to me. Can you hear that from inside the car?
Nope. Just outside. It sounds bad when I am in traffic and the ticking can reverberate off other cars next to me. There is definitely something out of kilter somewhere, I just have to find out what it is. I am leaning towards a valve shim that is begging for attention or a exhaust leak where the header meets the manifold.
I invested in an automotive stethoscope that should be delivered in the next few days. Set me back a whopping 12 dollars. I figure if I can pinpoint this noise it will have paid for itself...

·
:D
7,274 Posts
Valves should be adjusted every 30k miles or every inspection

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Valves should be adjusted every 30k miles or every inspection
I know it. That's why I was a little skeptical of the shop telling me it did not need one. I think i will have it done anyway just to be sure...

·
7,274 Posts
I know it. That's why I was a little skeptical of the shop telling me it did not need one. I think i will have it done anyway just to be sure...
Good idea. Don't pay over $450 for it though.
You can buy the kit for $390 and DIY and save money in future if you choose

·
7,274 Posts
You're speaking about an M? I haven't had my valves adjusted...does this make me a careless non-M owner?
Yes. The m cars only, require this valve adjustment. The OP stated in his post that it was an '05 m3.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
The guys in the NJ/NY area hate me...otherwise they'd be coming out to hear me talk about beagles and stuff. I think they take it personally when I tease them about the autoerotic pleasure I've seen them have with their wheels at meets. Thank g-d they have microfiber towels at the ready!

Anyway, Mini and Peyton, I hope you're both my friends...I really can't keep track of who I'm supposedly friends with.

Also, have to say, that when I become gay, there's really only one fanatic I would hope becomes gay at the same time...maybe two or three. I already have 9 on my list so I'm pretty sure that will cover me through to the end of my life if need be. I know if I became gay, I wouldn't be too promiscuous and hope that doesn't disappoint either of you!

·
7,274 Posts
doug, if you don't play hard to get i'm not interested. i'm in for the chase :tsk:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
doug, if you don't play hard to get i'm not interested. i'm in for the chase :tsk:
I'm glad I have smaller wheels! :lmao:

...and I am hard to get...there are 9 guys ahead on the list already! Admittedly, many might not make the turn at the same time as me. Anyway, when I do, I'll let everyone know where I'm at on the list.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My thread has been hijacked with homosensual promiscuity discussions, a rundown of "who's on my list of dudes I'd rage if I ever become gay", and otherwise random tomfoolery. :facepalm:

I'm getting a valve job. I'm gonna DIY it. I'm gonna rent the micrometer, shim removal tool and shim kit from the guy in these forums that rents the set.

Question:
Do I have to replace the valve cover and associated gaskets or can I re-use ??

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
You shouldn't need to replace valve cover unless it's cracked and you shouldn't reuse vcg, not unless you just recently put it in there, and then, in all honesty, it'd probably not be worth the trouble to remove dried on rtv. Of course, if grommets are new(ish) you can reuse them...though even here, the die-hard ocd'ers would probably say something about it!

And yes, your thread was threadjacked, but in the nicest way possible, don't you think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You shouldn't need to replace valve cover unless it's cracked and you shouldn't reuse vcg, not unless you just recently put it in there, and then, in all honesty, it'd probably not be worth the trouble to remove dried on rtv. Of course, if grommets are new(ish) you can reuse them...though even here, the die-hard ocd'ers would probably say something about it!

And yes, your thread was threadjacked, but in the nicest way possible, don't you think?
I didn't mean replace the valve cover, I meant replace the valve cover gasket. I might just buy the gasket set...I remember seeing it somewhere. Comes with all gaskets necessary to do the job. Also gonna check my VANOS parts (broken tabs, loose bolts, etc)

·
7,274 Posts
Yes. Replace your gasket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Replace your gasket.
I'm gonna replace all the gaskets for sure. And check my vanos tabs and bolts while I'm in there. I don't trust those mechanics...shifty mofo's :hmm:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.