E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is, do I have the factory alarm system or not? I have the clown nose on the mirror that continually flashes after I lock the car with the remote. Also I have the module in the center of my headliner. When locked with the remote, the lights flash once and when I unlock the lights flash twice, however, no horn chirp. The trunk lid has the little emblem that says it is wired for the factory BMW security system. The local dealer told me that very few 3 series came with the factory alarm, but from all I know about the alarm package, it seems as though I do have it. Am I wrong? If not, how can I confirm/test? :banghead: Thanks, Chas.

·
Registered
950 Posts
probably not.
You can program the car to blink the clown nose and flash the lights even if you don't have the alarm.
Every car has the plastic motion sensor housing in the headliner, it's probably empty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"Set" the alarm and the throw a brick through the window. If the siren goes off you have an alarm... :lmao:

Or you can pop the hood latch inside the car, close up the car, "set" the alarm, and then open the hood. If a siren goes off...

You can buy the alarm and install it yourself (pretty easy), but you have to have a dealer "activate it" with their computer for 1 hour labor. Maybe a local indy shop can activate it for you, takes about 10 min (what I did for about $25).

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can roll the windows down, set the alarm(if present) and wave your arm around inside. Or just lock somebody inside and have them try to get out. It will go off.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
A lot of cars are programmed to flash the lights and have a blinking clown nose w/o the alarm; mine is like that. IMO you may as well keep it like that, since the alarm's main functionality is to deter criminals (w/ that blinking LED). Unless you really want the beep when you lock/unlock your car, I'd just leave it as is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pull down the fake airvent in the middle of your roof behind the sunroof (if you have one). If the wire harness is not connected to anything then you don't have an alarm. I bought the oem alarm off ebay for $250, installed it myself, and had a local shop program my car for $70. If I were to do it again, I'd go aftermarket. Cheaper and it would most likely come with a shock sensor and a 2 way pager. Oem only does motion and tilt sensor, and I'm more worried about vandalism than thieves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hold the lock button on ur key for about 3seconds and it should go off...if not then u have a car like mine.

·
Premium Member
28,906 Posts
My understanding is there is no "factory" alarm system for US delivered vehicles?? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

All e46's/BMW's come factory pre-wired for a dealer/customer installed alarm kit as far as I understand.

The horn is not used for the alarm, but a separate siren that is mounted under the fresh air intake and there is some form of interior motion sensor(s), depending on the model of the vehicle and a trunk mounted tilt sensor.

Clown nose on the rear view may blink, if so, the alarm should be configured on the car, but without the siren or other sensors, you only have a blinking clown nose.

You can sometimes find just the siren on ebay for cheap, mount that and get some alarm coverage from the trunk, hood and door contacts, but you will not have motion or tilt protection.

YMMV

·
Falling from 14k ft.
3,670 Posts
My understanding is there is no "factory" alarm system for US delivered vehicles?? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!
You are indeed wrong. I have a factory alarm and it's listed as a line item on my window sticker.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You are indeed wrong. I have a factory alarm and it's listed as a line item on my window sticker.
That doesn't mean it was installed at the factory.

Sunroofs used to be dealer installed options that would show up on the sticker.

The alarm still could have been installed when the car got to the dealer.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pull down the fake airvent in the middle of your roof behind the sunroof (if you have one). If the wire harness is not connected to anything then you don't have an alarm. I bought the oem alarm off ebay for $250, installed it myself, and had a local shop program my car for $70. If I were to do it again, I'd go aftermarket. Cheaper and it would most likely come with a shock sensor and a 2 way pager. Oem only does motion and tilt sensor, and I'm more worried about vandalism than thieves.
The wiring on the headliner cover unit behind the sunroof :banghead:is connected. Now what? :banghead:

·
Falling from 14k ft.
3,670 Posts
That doesn't mean it was installed at the factory.

Sunroofs used to be dealer installed options that would show up on the sticker.

The alarm still could have been installed when the car got to the dealer.
I can understand how the alarm is something the dealer installed but how the hell was a sunroof a dealer installed option? Did the dealer take a sawzall to a solid roof to install the sunroof?

·
Premium Member
28,906 Posts
ZHP Pilot, like I said, if I am wrong, I am sure there will be folks to tell me.

That being said, an item can be on a window sticker that is dealer installed. Dealers use supplemental window stickers all the time for things like alarms, LoJack, paint protection, fabric protection and undercoating. These are not the manufacturers windows sticker, they are placed next to the OEM sticker and are items installed by the dealer before the car is listed for sale on the lot.

Additionally even if BMW really offered a "factory" installed alarm, many dealers may not order them from the "factory" because anything the dealer installs in house they make more revenue/profit on, so many times this is something dealers will not even order if available. But again, depends on who/how the car was ordered.

So I would be curious if you really have a "factory" installed alarm, as I have yet to see one that was not dealer/owner installed, but they may be some out there. Curious how much is the alarm is listed for on your window sticker? Interesting to see how much it was as compared to the dealer parts kit.

My window sticker states "Pre-wiring for cellular phone, alarm system and CD changer under the Comfort and Convenience Features.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can roll the windows down, set the alarm(if present) and wave your arm around inside. Or just lock somebody inside and have them try to get out. It will go off.
This.

And most likely yes you have the alarm. However its not an alarm you pre-convieved to think it is. It will only go off there is motion inside the car, or a door or trunk opens while the alarm is activated.

Also, make sure to wait 30 seconds after the alarm is armed before trying to test it. It is not fully armed for 30+ seconds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts