E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People say their intakes sound great and add hp, but I really don't understand the sound part. I mean, just messing around, I take my entire air filter box out and rev up the engine, sure I can hear a little woosh of air when I first step on the throttle, but above 4000 rpm the engine noise drowns out the intake sound.

Are there any videos out there where the camera isn't 3 inches from the intake? Or a vid with the hood closed? Or anyone that who bought an aftermarket intake and doesn't notice a sound difference either?

So many people are wanting to buy intakes and others are replying saying the sound is totally worth it. I'm starting to feel crazy with my beliefs that aftermarket intakes are useless. :chase:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
28,943 Posts
I notice my car is much peppier with a CAI and is much more responsive throughout the entire range. I actually swapped back to stock for a SMOG test and the car felt very sluggish as if it were running on 87 or 89 fuel. It's not a neck breaking difference but I have found it to be worth while. The sound improvement is also a plus.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
makes your car sound more "modified", looks good in your engine bay, more airflow to the engine.

I've got plenty of comments on them from other people, because of the whistle noise they think its a super charger

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, it does something...it takes money from your pocket...

Look at my DIY thread for a $3 CAI (you can learn alot by looking at a m3 airbox.)
Haha, yeah, that's my thinking. They cost like $200 on average, some of them have shown a loss in performance, many no difference, no sound difference that I can notice, and some supercharger systems even reuse the stock airbox. Not to mention the annoying hassle to change the air filter and wash it and re-oil it as opposed to just replacing a drop in filter.

Miles you can come listen to mine. :)
When you driving back down to SD? :idea:

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I notice my car is much peppier with a CAI and is much more responsive throughout the entire range. I actually swapped back to stock for a SMOG test and the car felt very sluggish as if it were running on 87 or 89 fuel. It's not a neck breaking difference but I have found it to be worth while. The sound improvement is also a plus.
How can you say this? The engine management system is going to see that there is more air coming into the engine. At first, you should notice a slight different. After a little while of driving, the engine should regulate back to normal operating parameters.

Unless the DME is hacked/modified to accommodate an aftermarket intake, you will not feel one bit of difference. I have a hard time believing that you get better performance long term (> 1 hour driving) from that overpriced funnel.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
28,943 Posts
How can you say this? The engine management system is going to see that there is more air coming into the engine. At first, you should notice a slight different. After a little while of driving, the engine should regulate back to normal operating parameters.

Unless the DME is hacked/modified to accommodate an aftermarket intake, you will not feel one bit of difference. I have a hard time believing that you get better performance long term (> 1 hour driving) from that overpriced funnel.
You are right in that the ECU adapts to the increased air flow but it does not revert back to the same power output. It adapts to the increased air flow by running slightly richer but you are still getting the advantage of more dense cooler air being forced into the engine which is a sheer law of physics that leads to increased power.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
You are right in that the ECU adapts to the increased air flow but it does not revert back to the same power output. It adapts to the increased air flow by running slightly richer but you are still getting the advantage of more dense cooler air being forced into the engine which is a sheer law of physics that leads to increased power.
Point noted. Pretty expensive mod to gain 1HP (maybe) at the wheel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dinan Intakes are really loud actually. My s*** whistles so much, right when you hit the gas, but it will make the car louder anyway.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Haha, yeah, that's my thinking. They cost like $200 on average, some of them have shown a loss in performance, many no difference, no sound difference that I can notice, and some supercharger systems even reuse the stock airbox. Not to mention the annoying hassle to change the air filter and wash it and re-oil it as opposed to just replacing a drop in filter.

When you driving back down to SD? :idea:
On Monday morning early, you could meet me around 8 am. :excited:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
People say their intakes sound great and add hp, but I really don't understand the sound part. I mean, just messing around, I take my entire air filter box out and rev up the engine, sure I can hear a little woosh of air when I first step on the throttle, but above 4000 rpm the engine noise drowns out the intake sound.

Are there any videos out there where the camera isn't 3 inches from the intake? Or a vid with the hood closed? Or anyone that who bought an aftermarket intake and doesn't notice a sound difference either?

So many people are wanting to buy intakes and others are replying saying the sound is totally worth it. I'm starting to feel crazy with my beliefs that aftermarket intakes are useless. :chase:
you sure are lazy lol ... lucky for you am bored rite now so here you go (it's a stock M3 with CSL airbox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpf-cA_puJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-OsKLA55mc

·
Content free since 1994
572 Posts
+1 [email protected]

The intake system is a direct pipeline to the combustion chambers and can produce quite a lot of noise. Stock systems are designed to meet certain hp requirements and also to meet sound level requirements as well.

For example, my 1997 SHO (3.4 liter Yamaha DOHC V8, 235 hp) had an intake baffle that took up most of the (substantial) space in the left front fender area forward of the wheel well. The baffle looked and operated the same as an exhaust muffler. Removing it produced a ton more engine sound, although it was hardly noticeable from within the car with the windows up.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/intake1.html

When I replaced my stock 325 airbox with an aFe intake, the change in engine noise was obvious, even with the windows rolled up. Not all the change was good. Along with the more aggressive engine sound under hard acceleration came an intake whistle at low speeds and part throttle. I can barely detect it with the windows up but it's very noticeable with windows down when I'm cruising around town.

As for power -- the engine is designed with hp targets in mind and also with noise generation targets. Aftermarket intakes are under no such constraints. That's why they're generally much simpler than a factory intake design.

My aFe intake absolutely, positively makes the car louder AND faster.

When I put it on the car I did a write-up on it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337494

Not only do I stand by those results from almost three years ago, I can back them up up with a dyno run showing a good increase over stock hp.

Keep in mind it's a 325 with 160 rwhp stock. Dyno pull with Shark injector and aFe CAI was 176.1 rwhp. The car was pretty strong for a 325, but after the intake swap it caught me off guard a few times. Not supercharger strong but definitely a more powerful car.

I keep hearing how these boltons don't do much for our cars, and almost didn't try anything on mine. But in the case of the air intake, I have to disagree with "the experts". Based on my own experience I recommend a short ram system such as K&N, ECIS, Conforti and aFe.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
+1 [email protected]

The intake system is a direct pipeline to the combustion chambers and can produce quite a lot of noise. Stock systems are designed to meet certain hp requirements and also to meet sound level requirements as well.

For example, my 1997 SHO (3.4 liter Yamaha DOHC V8, 235 hp) had an intake baffle that took up most of the (substantial) space in the left front fender area forward of the wheel well. The baffle looked and operated the same as an exhaust muffler. Removing it produced a ton more engine sound, although it was hardly noticeable from within the car with the windows up.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/intake1.html

When I replaced my stock 325 airbox with an aFe intake, the change in engine noise was obvious, even with the windows rolled up. Not all the change was good. Along with the more aggressive engine sound under hard acceleration came an intake whistle at low speeds and part throttle. I can barely detect it with the windows up but it's very noticeable with windows down when I'm cruising around town.

As for power -- the engine is designed with hp targets in mind and also with noise generation targets. Aftermarket intakes are under no such constraints. That's why they're generally much simpler than a factory intake design.

My aFe intake absolutely, positively makes the car louder AND faster.

When I put it on the car I did a write-up on it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337494

Not only do I stand by those results from almost three years ago, I can back them up up with a dyno run showing a good increase over stock hp.

Keep in mind it's a 325 with 160 rwhp stock. Dyno pull with Shark injector and aFe CAI was 176.1 rwhp. The car was pretty strong for a 325, but after the intake swap it caught me off guard a few times. Not supercharger strong but definitely a more powerful car.

I keep hearing how these boltons don't do much for our cars, and almost didn't try anything on mine. But in the case of the air intake, I have to disagree with "the experts". Based on my own experience I recommend a short ram system such as K&N, ECIS, Conforti and aFe.

Cheers!
Nice write-up. I do think it is a little expensive $/HP rate.

To each their own.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.