BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2001 330ci manual and I have a Benfer CAI. I also have 18" SSR competetion wheels. The rears are 9" wide with Kumhos.
I have also unpluged the pressure hose on the stock exhaust so the flap stay open for a little more growl sound.

Now I was out trying to get some wheel spin for fun. Turned off DSC and I raised the rpm to 3000. From a stop I droped the hammer and.....

:thumbdwn:

I get a small chirp and spin a line about 1 foot and it has a small trail for 4 more feet. I take off like a bat out of hell. This is good for performance, but I wanted to burn some tires.
Did it 3 times and same thing happens each time.

I have read about people just fish tailing and ripping the tires till the let off the go pedal.

Now, I am thinking that there must be something wrong.
Question?....
Who has done some major burn outs in a straight line in their 330? How long was it and what did you drop it from (RPM)?

Any idea why mine is not? I hope
1) my tires are so good that it is hard to loose grip. OR
2) Wider wheels (9") add tot he grip. OR
3) It is normally done at higher RPMs. or
4) I not hope I have very weak 330.

:(

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,483 Posts
I think one issue here is your tires. Kumhos tend to be very very very grippy. Coupled with the fact that your rears are 9'' wide does not help this fact. The wider the rear tires, the more grip you will get because you have more rubber in contact with the ground. One thing you can try is launching at a higher RPM...but this will just put even more wear on your clutch. I just dun understand why you want to do this though? It does nothing but damage for a little smoke...it wears your tires, wears your clutch, and is hard on your engine...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont do it offten to worry about the damage. This is the first time I went out and even tried. You know... Why climb a mountain? Just because dude!

From other peoples post about racing and performance.... They just seam to do it so easy. From a stop and with no cluth dump, then can get a some wheel spin.
Mine does not even chirp.

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
Do you want to do a standing burnout or just have some smoke come out when you spin your wheels while taking off? If you want to do a standing burnout, rev up to aournd 3500-4000, pop the clutch then get on the brakes right away. For a smoky take off, rev higher and pop the clutch faster. Only way you could acheive it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've noticed that you live in dallas. just hand over the keys and will gladly do the best burnout you have ever seen :D
but seriously if you wanna do a burnout go get some water and dump it to both your back tires next step would be to raise your e-brake third step would be to push in the clutch all the way raise the rpm to like 4500-5000 rpms and start disengaging the clutch quickly. the car might give a little jerk because of the e-brake but after 2 sec that baby will be standing still with the back tires shirping like crazy after 10 to 15 sec lower your e-brake and you will have a better launch then a formula 1 car.
muahahaha :lmao:

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
atabbara said:
i've noticed that you live in dallas. just hand over the keys and will gladly do the best burnout you have ever seen :D
but seriously if you wanna do a burnout go get some water and dump it to both your back tires next step would be to raise your e-brake third step would be to push in the clutch all the way raise the rpm to like 4500-5000 rpms and start disengaging the clutch quickly. the car might give a little jerk because of the e-brake but after 2 sec that baby will be standing still with the back tires shirping like crazy after 10 to 15 sec lower your e-brake and you will have a better launch then a formula 1 car.
muahahaha :lmao:
NO Dont listen to this. You'll Fuk up your car. Our cars are REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Our EBRAKE is on the rear wheels. You'll just stall your car or mess up some other stuff.

And get the best launch with water all over the wheels? I've never heard of that before? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:

NO Dont listen to this. You'll Fuk up your car. Our cars are REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Our EBRAKE is on the rear wheels. You'll just stall your car or mess up some other stuff.

And get the best launch with water all over the wheels? I've never heard of that before? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i used to do this to my camaro.... you are right about ****ing up your car though :D .
and about the water part thats a great helper to do burnouts, you obviously have not been to drag strips before :pimpin:

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
atabbara said:

i used to do this to my camaro.... you are right about ****ing up your car though :D .
and about the water part thats a great helper to do burnouts, you obviously have not been to drag strips before :pimpin:
What does water have to do with drag racing. Burning out in a race will not give you better times. It'll only slow you down. So how will water help you in a drag race besides to burn out on to heat up the tires before you even RACE?

·
Registered
71 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:

What does water have to do with drag racing. Burning out in a race will not give you better times. It'll only slow you down. So how will water help you in a drag race besides to burn out on to heat up the tires before you even RACE?
water has nothing to do with drag racing but i was refering to drag strips because thats were the pros do burouts at.

by the way i've seen a guy at the drag strip do a stand still burnout all the way through the orange light and when the green light came he just launched like a mofu.... but you have to be really experienced to do that..... :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
atabbara said:

water part thats a great helper to do burnouts, you obviously have not been to drag strips before :pimpin:
atabbara said:

water has nothing to do with drag racing but i was refering to drag strips because thats were the pros do burouts at.

by the way i've seen a guy at the drag strip do a stand still burnout all the way through the orange light and when the green light came he just launched like a mofu.... but you have to be really experienced to do that..... :thumbup:

Reread your previous post please.

No, i have not been to the drag strip lately. And there are two things to watch out for, Spinning tires too much while taking off and overheating your tires. I really see no point of standing on your brakes, spinning your tires before you take off. All you really have to do is warm your tires up a bit.

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
And i think that it's almost impossible to burn out with the parking/E-brake pulled up on our cars. So where the hell did you get that from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:

Reread your previous post please.

No, i have not been to the drag strip lately. And there are two things to watch out for, Spinning tires too much while taking off and overheating your tires. I really see no point of standing on your brakes, spinning your tires before you take off. All you really have to do is warm your tires up a bit.
at the drag strip there are people with water hoses that spray down a line in the launching area and dragsters drive over that area because it helps to break the tires free and also because most dragsters like to show of by doing burnouts. the guy never asked how to launch a car and what overheating your tires would do to your launch. he wants to know how to do a burnout.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:lmao:

what you need to do to really hot things up is get revs to about 6000rpm and (in first gear - NEVER 2nd gear you'll fry the clutch as it slips) 'sidestep' the clutch..... that is slip your foot off sideways to let the pedal come straight up !

You will DEFINITELY smoke both tyres easily !

:)

Have fun, Oh and don't do it too often you will completely knacker the clutch.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts