E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
joem said:
just curious. :dunno:
Why would you even want 19 snows?
the cost you will spend on tires in 19's may probably be similar or just few $ less then the whole set of 17" rims with tires.
You want narrower tires for snow and dont forget, snow and salt really does affect your rims. Since you have 19's I am sure you had to pay extra for your 19's over standard 18's on your M3 and want to keep them in top shape.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
proveg said:
Why would you even want 19 snows?
the cost you will spend on tires in 19's may probably be similar or just few $ less then the whole set of 17" rims with tires.
You want narrower tires for snow and dont forget, snow and salt really does affect your rims. Since you have 19's I am sure you had to pay extra for your 19's over standard 18's on your M3 and want to keep them in top shape.
it's a lease. so I dont care about road salt etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
joem said:
it's a lease. so I dont care about road salt etc.
I have a lease and got myself a set of 17's with rims.

My math.
set of 17's at tirerack is about $1200
I can use them for 3 years and sell when I am done for at least $500 (if they are still in good shape)

Buying 19 tires.
Set of Winter 19's my guess would be about $800
remount and balance wheels 2 times a year at least $60 each time 4 wheels
That comes out to $360 for just mounting of tires.
Total spent $1160.
At the end, you will have 4 used Winter tires that no one will want in 19" size

My math tells me that my investment will pay off after 3 years.
On top of that, I will not have to worry about driving my tires to the shop and can change them any time I want at my will. I will also have narrower tires that will grip better in snow.

·
Registered
952 Posts
BimR said:
OEM 19's?

If they're aftermarket, just get s set of winter wheels. Wheels are usually damaged when mounting and unmounting tires, especially with the 19's.

Wheels are damaged more often yet driving around in the slippery snow. Get some smaller wheels that don't cost as much to replace if you smack a curb or pothole.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,949 Posts
i have 18" snow tires

they are the best of both worlds not to big and not to small and they look good on a 3 series car that is drop in the back.
bobm3 :woot: :woot:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts