BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LS swapping my e46. Running a Holley Terminator engine management system. My question is that if I remove the dme will I still have full control over lights, wipers, power windows/seats..? Is all that stuff just run off 12v source or do i need to keep the dme installed?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Most of those should be able to function without the factory DME. Some modules like to know when the starter motor is running, but I imagine you can get such a signal out of an LS swap. Otherwise the biggest issue is the AC compressor request comes over the CAN-bus and is turned on by the DME - I think people make can interpreter boxes to deal with that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
LS swapping my e46. Running a Holley Terminator engine management system. My question is that if I remove the dme will I still have full control over lights, wipers, power windows/seats..? Is all that stuff just run off 12v source or do i need to keep the dme installed?
You don't need the DME. I LS swapped my car and tested all the circuits with the DME removed, although I did have the General Module and factory fuse panel still wired up. Lights, turn signals, four ways, power windows, power locks all worked. I never tested the power seats or HVAC as they were removed in my build.

Ultimately I ditched all BMW wiring in the car and rewired it myself to vastly simplify things. The wipers and lights are all kept and they work via a 12V switch panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts