E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 99 323i sedan(e46) and recently changed the tranny from an auto to a manual. Live in the new york area and can not find anywhere that can help me change this dme to recognise the car is manual, even dealers. Right now the check engine light and gear symbol "cog":facepalm: are lit on the dash and it is time i ask for some suggestions. Any help ppl???
Car runs well but I want to get these lights off on the dash.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hmm, I always thought that the car wouldn't even start if you didn't have the DME reflashed, I read that people would have to push start their cars after a manual swap until they could get the DME taken care of.

As far as who can do it, I'm guessing Active Autowerks or ESS can reflash it, but other members got it done at the dealer. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I asked a couple of indi shops and was told the dealership is the only place that can do it... Still haven't done it to mine yet and its been almost a year now! Planning on dong it soon.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Depending on the CAR ZCS or VO must be changed. then the DME programed number changed to a manuel

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You need a manual cluster and transfer over vin and mileage.
That is how i got my smg to manual to start after swap.
umm no :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk: just need to change zcs or vo

·
/// Limitless
2,920 Posts
The cars built prior to build date 09/2001 use SA numbers that must be recoded into the instrument cluster (KOMBI) and then auto program the LCM, ASC/DSC, and align the EWS with the DME.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
umm no :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk: just need to change zcs or vo
ZCS/FA editing is the easy part since all the information on what the numbers mean is documented by BMW. Figuring out the proper DME program number without access to a real manual is the hard part - I can't find documentation that tells which car the data files correspond to for the ms42 and ms43 DMEs. MSS54 files on the other the hand are very nicely commented and identify exactly which car the file is intended for (US, euro, or japan; M3, CSL or Z3M; SMG or manual).

Do you know if there's an official BMW document which identifies the DME software versions?

You need a manual cluster and transfer over vin and mileage.
That is how i got my smg to manual to start after swap.
Not necessary. While it's true the manual clusters don't have the LCD, you can easily just recode an auto cluster. Recoding it turns that extra display off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You need to have:

1. SSS progman
2. NCS Expert

With NCS expert you must change the FA code to remove S205A (automatic transmission). then code all car with NSC Expert.
When done with coding you car will think it is manual, but maps in the engine will be as for automatic.
Hee you will need to use SSS progman and program DME. To be safe I would program cluster, DSC and EWS as well with SSS progman.

Now you will be all manual :)

·
/// Limitless
2,920 Posts
Yes The OP's original thread stated 99 - 323 so they are using SA codes and 09/2001 is using the VO for programming the various modules.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
You need to have:

1. SSS progman
2. NCS Expert

With NCS expert you must change the FA code to remove S205A (automatic transmission). then code all car with NSC Expert.
When done with coding you car will think it is manual, but maps in the engine will be as for automatic.
Hee you will need to use SSS progman and program DME. To be safe I would program cluster, DSC and EWS as well with SSS progman.

Now you will be all manual :)
SSS/Progman won't reprogram the DME with a manual flash unless you manually identify the software number. The DME version isnt determined by the VO; it's determined by what the UIF says the existing software version is.

You're also better off using winkfp if you're not using the real Progman. Winkfp is both faster and safer since it doesn't have to go through a VM and virtual network... Nor does it need any "hacky" modifications to work.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
SSS/Progman won't reprogram the DME with a manual flash unless you manually identify the software number. The DME version isnt determined by the VO; it's determined by what the UIF says the existing software version is.

You're also better off using winkfp if you're not using the real Progman. Winkfp is both faster and safer since it doesn't have to go through a VM and virtual network... Nor does it need any "hacky" modifications to work.

The programed number can be gotten via real OEM or numerous service SIB's. The info is there. I have programed 7-8 of these cars after swaps I do know a little about it....

And also those numbers for SA/fa used to not be that well documented it was through work of certain people that they became know. Do some searching on early threads about this. There was not much info out there for a long time.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
The programed number can be gotten via real OEM or numerous service SIB's. The info is there. I have programed 7-8 of these cars after swaps I do know a little about it....

And also those numbers for SA/fa used to not be that well documented it was through work of certain people that they became know. Do some searching on early threads about this. There was not much info out there for a long time.
They're all very well documented in the data folders right on the Progman DVD. Admittedly it's mostly in German, but the info is all there and has been for years. This stuff was written by BMW. Check the links below E46AT.000 for all the VO information, and E46ZST.000 for all the ZCS information. There are similar files available for every chasis. The ZCS ones are particularly useful since it tells you how to calculate the new checksum and everything. FA isn't as necessary since the numbers are the same as the option codes themselves. It is useful for figuring out the proper H-words/E-words/K-words for various retrofits though

E46AT.000

E46ZST.000

Where on RealOEM are the programmed numbers btw? I can only find the hardware numbers, which are kinda useless since tons of cars use the same DME hardware.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
OP, there are only a few people you should be listening to in this particular thread. me, JBeurotech, terraphantm and TitaniumCranium.

terra, the program numbers are the last 7 of the programmed DME part numbers in the catalogs such as ETK and bmwfans.info. For my car (MT Cabrio, MS43 built before july 2002), the latest software is 7571613 as can be seen in the parts catalog:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Cabrio/USA/330Ci-M54/LHD/N/2000/november/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed/

OP's car can be found here:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Sedan/USA/323i-M52/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed/

for whatever reason, some models do not show a different program number for auto and manual. But MS45.1's built after July 2004 do:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Sedan/USA/330i-M54/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed-2/

Properly, what the OP needs to do is first remove the 3 blue wires connecting the EGS to the DME. then, he needs to update his ZCS to reflect a manual transmission in his instrument cluster and EWS using an old MoDiC system, Progman (selecting an E34 chassis) or NCS Expert. The manual conversion involves changing the last 2 digits of the ZCS string. Then, perform a whole car encoding followed by a DME software update, and his car will be a manual.

Neil1138 detailed the entire process with coding in "Step 12" of his 5MT conversion which can be seen here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314

OP will need to post his ZCS string so it can be converted, then follow the instructions above and the cog and SES lights should turn off.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
OP, there are only a few people you should be listening to in this particular thread. me, JBeurotech, terraphantm and TitaniumCranium.

terra, the program numbers are the last 7 of the programmed DME part numbers in the catalogs such as ETK and bmwfans.info. For my car (MT Cabrio, MS43 built before july 2002), the latest software is 7571613 as can be seen in the parts catalog:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Cabrio/USA/330Ci-M54/LHD/N/2000/november/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed/

OP's car can be found here:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Sedan/USA/323i-M52/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed/

for whatever reason, some models do not have a different program numbers for auto and manual. But MS45.1's built after July 2004 do:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Sedan/USA/330i-M54/browse/engine_electrical_system/control_unit_dme_programmed-2/

Properly, what the OP needs to do is first remove the 3 blue wires connecting the EGS to the DME. then, he needs to update his ZCS to reflect a manual transmission in his instrument cluster and EWS using an old MoDiC system, Progman (selecting an E34 chassis) or NCS Expert. The manual conversion involves changing the last 2 digits of the ZCS string. Then, perform a whole car encoding followed by a DME software update, and his car will be a manual.

Neil1138 detailed the entire process with coding in "Step 12" of his 5MT conversion which can be seen here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314

OP will need to post his ZCS key so it can be converted, then follow the instructions above and the cog and SES lights should turn off.
Thanks for the info! I was getting stuck w/ realOEM since they seem to omit the "DME Unit - programmed" entries. That makes things a lot easier!

Edit: Do you know when the last time BMWfans.info was updated? My current DME version (which is the latest) doesn't agree with what that site. I know the E46 M3 was recently updated (Summer 09) because of the emissions recall though, so maybe that's the issue

Edit 2: My old ZHPs DME software does match that site, so I guess it's okay. It's just the database is from a release before Summer 09.

Neil's process forgets to mention LSZ recoding :eeps:
Neils car wouldn't need any LSZ recoding...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.