BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
question

So you are using a X3 fan that is a 600w in your application, but the only issue is the clearance in the top?

yes better to go with the Z4 fan. X3 fan fits perfectly in the bottom but too tall at the top. i fixed with zip ties for the time being, but i'll need to come up with a solution for the air intake.

the 600w fan is very powerful. it will make a difference to the cooling system for sure. and maybe some engine performance by losing the parasitic drag of the clutch fan. i'll need to take off the bumper and remove the aux fan at some point also.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So you are using a X3 fan that is a 600w in your application, but the only issue is the clearance in the top?
correct i am very happy with the X3 fan 600w. cooling and engine performance both are excellent. but the clearance at the top is a problem for the stock air scoop.

right now i am running without the scoop, taking air intake into the air filter box without it. i am still thinking about whether to do a cold air intake instead of the filter box or maybe fix/cut the scoop to fit the higher fan.

you can avoid this issue by getting the Z4 fan which is the proper height.

·
Registered
53 Posts
nice, i would try to trim down whatever is in the way of the air duct, but cold air intake are good as well. I wanted to go with an afe dry air filter with the stock box, and use the aftermarket air scoop they sell for the air scoop.

correct i am very happy with the X3 fan 600w. cooling and engine performance both are excellent. but the clearance at the top is a problem for the stock air scoop.

right now i am running without the scoop, taking air intake into the air filter box without it. i am still thinking about whether to do a cold air intake instead of the filter box or maybe fix/cut the scoop to fit the higher fan.

you can avoid this issue by getting the Z4 fan which is the proper height.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
nice, i would try to trim down whatever is in the way of the air duct, but cold air intake are good as well. I wanted to go with an afe dry air filter with the stock box, and use the aftermarket air scoop they sell for the air scoop.
yeah i would like to trim the fan rather than remodel the air scoop, but both choices are bad.. it's easy to make clean cuts on plastic (like at the bottom of the fan i removed one rib and cut back the protrusion to make space for the a/c compressor) .. but plastic is hard to remodel/reshape. the top arch of the fan is just not amenable. so i'll take this as a good excuse to try a cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

actually it was pretty easy to fix the air scoop.. i just drilled out the plastic rivets and removed the inner piece of the scoop.

still planning to run the dinan high flow intake from the bottom of the airbox to the brake duct. not sure if that can entirely replace the air scoop or not.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts