BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shifting
32,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick dirty vid on how to do very simple wiring to kill your angel eyes when the key is in position 2 or when the car is on. With this wiring setup it will NOT turn them off if you have the trigger wire connected to the interior lights for fade on/off. Did the work rather quickly with my friend jacob220

Tools:
- Philips screwdriver
- Electrical tape
- Wire cutter
- Wire stripper
- Crimper
- Electrical connectors
- Speaker cable or similar cable 12-18 gauge

Be sure to DISCONNECT positive wire for the angel eye harness from the positive terminal under the hood BEFORE doing the wiring.

1. Cut positive cable between fuze and relay and strip ends

2. Route speaker wire into the cabin to where you want your switch to be and strip all four ends. Two ends by the drug bin strip and connect to the stripped ends of the positive wire from the angel eyes harness. The other two ends connect 14-16 wire gauge connectors that will go to the back of the toggle switch

3. Plug in wires to the switch and mount where you want it to be

4. Electrical tape all connections/waterproof and enjoy

Please wait for vid to finish uploading, I'm off to bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJNkH_58Og

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will move to lighting section after some exposure here. Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice video, I'm in the middle of doing the same thing myself. Looking forward to seeing the wiring solution for making the switch work with the remote function too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm following this guide but I'm afraid my switch will give, well since it's between the fuse and the relay, the fuse will go first.

I bought a 30 amp max switch with an LED. On the back it has an earth, load and supply terminals.

nvm

·
Shifting
32,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
711 Posts
If I were to do this, I would instead having a long constant 12V power wire coming through the cabin and back. I would do this with ONE single wire from the relay ground. Bring the ground into the cabin switch, then a short ground from switch to inside car somewhere. Less wiring, less worries of live wires in car. Also doing so, when you have the switch off, this will 100% disable the angel eyes in both run mode and fad in/out.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Bumping this. I like your idea as well. Ive been doing a ton of wiring switches into the ash tray for the demon eyes. You think running the ground through the switch and into the cigarette lighter would work?

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Yeah that would be possible. Also Jake, do you know if there is a 12V constant somewhere inside the car? Like the center console or the glove box? Havent been able to find one

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Constant even for when the car is off? I'm curious about that as well.
Correct. As well as the kill switch, I've also been looking into a constant on switch for angel eyes. At meets when I want them to stay on I've been cracking the door and thats not the best solution.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Straight battery was my thought. My thought though was that the angel eyes have two triggers. The ECU wire and the footwell light wire. If I were to connect one of these triggers to a constant 12V with a switch, closing the switch would send 12V to whichever source I chose. Obviously staying away from the ECU wire, I wonder if Id be able to send 12V to the footwell light without killing it. If necessary I have a 12V to 3.3V converter already

1 - 20 of 28 Posts