E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
E46 320ci M54, 2.2 170cv convertible '00
657 Posts
when you dismantle these rot ones, you'll see that there are wo holes in the metal that now you don't see because is already hidden by the plastic.
Those holes are where you have to drill the new ones, use the old ones as a guide ;)

you're obviously free to do whatever you want, but assuming that removing the metal cover is a PITA and if the latch broke in the locked position is a vry annoiyng thing to solve, I'll try to be sure that I won't re-open it for a long, long time. The longest I can or maybe anymore. A used part wouldn't make me that sure about it.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,389 Posts
when you dismantle these rot ones, you'll see that there are wo holes in the metal that now you don't see because is already hidden by the plastic.
Those holes are where you have to drill the new ones, use the old ones as a guide ;)

you're obviously free to do whatever you want, but assuming that removing the metal cover is a PITA and if the latch broke in the locked position is a vry annoiyng thing to solve, I'll try to be sure that I won't re-open it for a long, long time. The longest I can or maybe anymore. A used part wouldn't make me that sure about it.
Yes. I saw and that was the plan.

I have the new epoxy reinforced latches in now. It all works smooth and the top secures nicely.

I'm going to buy replacement blocks for the old latches. Being they are all solid design with no gap for a nut to fit, I'm going to drill and tap the hole to take a bolt. I'll use an appropriate epoxy to set the bolt so it doesn't back out.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Yes. I saw and that was the plan.

I have the new epoxy reinforced latches in now. It all works smooth and the top secures nicely.

I'm going to buy replacement blocks for the old latches. Being they are all solid design with no gap for a nut to fit, I'm going to drill and tap the hole to take a bolt. I'll use an appropriate epoxy to set the bolt so it doesn't back out.
Let me know what you find with replacement blocks. Every one I saw had the incorrect threading

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport Auto, Mystic Blue, 80k Miles
444 Posts
Just an idea but are there any on the 3d printer sites?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but in reference to the scenario outlined below I was able to perform the second option listed and it was not too bad. Probably 2 hours total to get everything off cleanly, no cutting.

A couple of things I did that helped:

1) When accessing the torx screws inside the headliner holding the back of the metal latch cover in place I found that completely removing the outer two on each side and allowing the headliner to come away a bit. This allows much better access to the center two screws which only need to be loosened.
2) I removed the locking plates mounted to the windshield header to get better access to some of the small torx screws at the front of the metal cover. Picture below shows them removed.

If the part breaks while the roof is closing you have 2 options:
1. Cut the cover with a reciprocating saw to gain access to the latches. The cover hiding the latches isMETAL.
2. Remove all the interior trim around the windshield near the latches, then the bolts can be accessed to remove the cover. There is no DIY for this at this time. A single member has mentioned they were able to do this successfully.
Once I had all the screws off the cover, you pull the back down a bit and then backward to get it off. A bit of force is needed on the downward pull, not to worry as the metal cover is flexible.

A clamp of some sort was needed to hold the broken block (drivers side in my case) together while you run the motor manually in the center to release the latches and open top to complete the repairs.

Hopefully this might help someone out.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I just bought myself an e46 vert a week ago and the convertible top was stuck, I’ve been able to remove the latch by removing all the interior trim.

I know this thread is old but I didn’t want to create a new thread for a quick question.

I am torn at the moment, I was going to try and salvage the plastic latch part but I feel like the first one is beyond saving… I was going to buy new latches and replace them but I’ve seen some bad reviews with sensor issues and the thread not being the best.. I wanted to know what the community thinks…

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

Product Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,389 Posts
Hi guys,

I just bought myself an e46 vert a week ago and the convertible top was stuck, I’ve been able to remove the latch by removing all the interior trim.

I know this thread is old but I didn’t want to create a new thread for a quick question.

I am torn at the moment, I was going to try and salvage the plastic latch part but I feel like the first one is beyond saving… I was going to buy new latches and replace them but I’ve seen some bad reviews with sensor issues and the thread not being the best.. I wanted to know what the community thinks…

View attachment 936199

View attachment 936200
I bought used latches on ebay and reinforced them. I got pretty lucky and found a set cheap.

These are kinda pricey, but apparently no cracks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Step 1: Manipulate the top (electronically or manually) into this position.
It would seem that the latch broke with the top closed.
The hex key turns in the motor shaft above the rear view mirror, but the driver's side hook stays locked.

Suggestions ??

Thanks,
Mach

·
Registered
707 Posts
If your top is latched closed, there is access to turn the threaded latch spindles. This will only work if the composite part of the latch mechanism is still intact.
Yes ... suggestions for what to do if the composite part cracks while the top is locked into the windshield ???

TIA,
Mach

·
Registered
24 Posts
If one side open then it is possible I have done it Remove A pillar covers, remove sunvisors (4 screws per visor), and interior light, open the top as much as possible now pull and wiggle the trim cover towards the unclamped end, when removed you will see the problem, there is write up from me on here somewhere

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

161 - 175 of 175 Posts