E46 Fanatics Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out if it's the same for an XI?
The XI has a double U joint on the 'rack end' in addition to the rubber guibo disc. I just did mine. Suggest getting replacement bolts rather than reuse. Also penetrating oil is a must on the rack side connection. I did mine complete from the top no issues.

FWIW the failure was on the U Joint side in my case. It was buckling. I tried to lube it when it was still installed. No go. Guibo looked fine no cracking whatsoever. The double U Joint has a pivoting ball/socket like connection between the joints. On the old one, the ball was visible and rusty. On the new one, there was a rubber boot covering up that mechanism. I could not tell if this was an updated design or not. Hard to get into pics, so I did not bother. My symptoms were buckling/resistance with turns at slow speeds, some squeaking when turning and some vibration in the wheel at freeway speeds. All good now.

In summary the aforementioned procedure for Non-XI's is the same for XI's. The only difference is the part that you replace.

· Registered
31 Posts
BMWboi / others - when the coupler will simply NOT come up off the lower spline...'any suggestions? I soaked it in blaster, beat the heck out of it with a big-arse hammer and screwdriver for an hour - maybe it moved a millimeter. AAARG. I've spread the split in the coupler with a chisel and pounded some more... I'm spent, for the night; before tomorrow do I <1> get out the SawzAll, <2> consider the torch, and jeopardize the surrounding bits, or <4> just plan on keep whacking for another three hours.

Thanks guys - this is my third one, and the others (half the miles, but older cars) came off instantly. <B>GADZOOKS.

· Registered
31 Posts
More crawling the web suggests there is no recourse; drive a bigger split, wedge, beat harder -

I'll take up the fight tomorrow, and see if it will finally budge. Somewhere, an old German is laughing at us all.

· Registered
31 Posts
Folks, I'm here to sing the praises of a Dremel tool in this exercise: Beyond the chisel driven into the "split" and a BIG hammer, here is the key; GRIND AN OPPOSING SLOT. For every minute spend grinding, I know I saved 15 minutes of pounding...in fact, it would not have yielded without the extra stress relief. Per the linked picture, there is minimal space (so the angle of attack is not optimal), and be careful not to cut into the spline - but by God it worked a treat. 'Wish I'd decided to do that an hour earlier (DUH).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s27iycvhywhqobf/20161008_110046.jpg?dl=0

My take? If it isn't moving after a few hefty blows, get your Dremel, a heavy duty grinding disc, and go at it for a few minutes: Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Planning to do this job on Saturday. I have a 330ci with M package, i guess things are no different for the M package, right?

I have seen some video's where ppl turn the coupler after removing 1 bolt to get easier access to the other, is that a good idea? (Will it mess up your steering wheel alignment?). If the steering wheel is locked, will it still turn? And is it ok to turn to get it done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys,

... I have seen some video's where ppl turn the coupler after removing 1 bolt to get easier access to the other, is that a good idea? (Will it mess up your steering wheel alignment?). If the steering wheel is locked, will it still turn? And is it ok to turn to get it done? ...
My 2001 325 Ci had a notch where the rod can only go back one way. I did indeed turn my wheels a touch to allow easier access to that second bolt. The steering wheel was indeed locked during this time.

· Registered
102 Posts
Just wanted to add to this DIY. I was having a lot of trouble getting the new coupler onto the lower spline. If I took the steering shaft out, it would go on no problem. The steering column was causing it to bind, I believe. I wrestled, lubed, hammered this thing for a coupe of hours. Finally, I got it on as far as it would go over the first set of splines, and then I unlocked the steering wheel by moving the key into position 1. This freed it up and I was able to slide the coupler all the way on.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.