E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
So I finally got the old coupler out and I'm having trouble getting the new one in. No rust at all, it just feels like it isn't lining up correctly. How easily should it go back in ? I start with it on the steering column, right?

· Registered
24 Posts
First thing is to install the non threaded end. first use a small pry bar or large flat head to make sure it is all the way pushed on. you will know when u can thread bolt. then screw that end down with thread locker line up threaded end with bolt hole and thread by hand and reverse pry bar and push down untill the bolt will thread. Use the PB to clean and lube threaded end. I just did this on my 99 323i. U cant istall it wrong like they said just use some pressure. My problem is I still have some wonder in steering. What else should i check?

· Registered
84 Posts
First thing is to install the non threaded end. first use a small pry bar or large flat head to make sure it is all the way pushed on. you will know when u can thread bolt. then screw that end down with thread locker line up threaded end with bolt hole and thread by hand and reverse pry bar and push down untill the bolt will thread. Use the PB to clean and lube threaded end. I just did this on my 99 323i. U cant istall it wrong like they said just use some pressure. My problem is I still have some wonder in steering. What else should i check?
Maybe control arms/CABs. This thread has comprehensive check list for suspension. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=932561

· Registered
22 Posts
Following this DIY made it easy

Just did my Steering Coupler DIY last week following this DIY, it definitely made it so easy, although mine was pretty clean and I didn't have a hard time removing (I sprayed a little WD40 before I started) After the installation, I can really feel the difference, I used to have about a 1/2 inch to an Inch of play on the steering wheel while driving straight on the freeway (that drive me nuts), Now it's straight and steady, Thanks to the OP

And since I was was under there, I replaced my fuel filter as well (I planned it ahead of course and ordered the Filter, since I knew the car was going to be jacked up, might as well hit 2 birds with 1 stone.) did my first at 100K and it was super dirty, now it's 150K, it wasn't super bad but it made a difference on acceleration when I step on it, it's smoother.

without all this DIY instructions I don't think I would have kept my 325i this long, So thank you to all that post their DIY.

· Registered
438 Posts
Great DIY and subing for future reference!

I do have one correction...although it does not directly contribute to the DIY. The picture for the cover under the engine is wrong, that pic is for an aggregate protective plate. The correct cover that is held on by 7 screws is called an Engine Screening Cover.

Important if/when you order a new engine screening cover.
Do you have to take off the engine screening cover and the protective plate or just the screening cover?

· Registered
140 Posts
I just did this fix and it dramatically improved my steering on my '02 330ci 180k. When I took the old guibo off it would flex freely in any direction whereas the new one feels nice and solid. I had to use Liquid Wrench all over the telescoping steering column and I sprayed the splined shaft of the steering rack. To remove it, I had to use a 24" pry bar and a 3lb hand sledge to budge it off. Once I had it almost all the way off the splines it seemed to get stuck. I had to position the pry bar from on the rivets where it was, to right beside where the plastic fin goes in. Came off in one strike then and it fell to the floor. The screws are easily accessible with a 10" extension and you can use a swivel also to ease removal. All in all a much needed improvement to my car. The steering is MUCH better on the highway and feels like it was when I bought it, so firm and smooth!!!

The only thing is after I installed the guibo I rotated the shaft to look at the plastic alignment fin. When I looked at it, the guibo looks all the way down except for maybe 1mm of space left. The screws went in fine and I have struck it with the sledge downwards onto the splined shaft so I believe it is on there good. I just want some others response on this if you don't mind. Just a piece of mind thing. Thanks all for the help!!

· Registered
140 Posts
I noticed the slot for the top bolt of the telescoping column, so are you saying the lower bolt has to go through the same type of indexed groove? If so I am good then like you said. Thanks again, I am just a hair nervous about losing my steering at 90mph haha!!

· Registered
130 Posts
How hard is it to reach the top portion of the telescoping rod, where it attaches to the steering wheel? I am replacing both guibo and the telescoping rod. If anyone has pics of access to the upper portion of the rod, I would appreciate it!

· Registered
38 Posts
Great DYI, which I plan to do very soon. Does anyone have torque specs for the bolts?

· Registered
118 Posts
I'm doing this now but the steering column won't slide up out of the coupler even though it is all the way up (contracted). Is the column suppose to pivot up and down?
I remember this being a pain in the ass too... I think you just have to jiggle it and pull really hard, maybe use a screwdriver for leverage... I forget exactly what I did but it was nothing special.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.