E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do this as I am too impatient to order the real ones as my clears came in today and I want to put them on tomarrow and i forgot to order the real silvervisions.

Question, If I leave 1/3 of the bulb unpainted will it show amber in the housings? If i paint the whole bulb will it be too dim?

Also any tips on painting the bulbs? Do's and dont's?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
General concensus is yes, completely painted bulbs are too dim for most people's tastes (read not bad at night, barely visible during the day).

If you leave 1/3 unpainted it should not show on the side markers. My bet would be that it would show on the front and rear corners because of the way the housing is designed to reflect the light. You could always paint them leaving the 1/3 and then if it doesn't work finish the job and then order the silvervisions if u are unhappy with it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats a good idea.. i'll just paint them see how it turns out.. too dim i'll just order the real ones.

Anyone have tips for painting the bulbs?

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
they're not that dim. MIne were ok

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
very light mist, u could put tape around the metal part of the bulb that sliiiiiightly covers part of the bulb on the bottom, which should let out some more amber.

also, u probly knew this, but DONT TOUCH THE BULBS with your bare fingers, the paint will buble and not take properly, look sh!tty

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I know not to touch the bulbs..

Ok LIght mist them.. any tips on how to set the bulbs when painting them? THanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
JustinB181 said:
Yeah I know not to touch the bulbs..

Ok LIght mist them.. any tips on how to set the bulbs when painting them? THanks
Some people punched holes in a piece of cardboard to hold them in place. Then spray a light mist.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What i did was mark the side of the bulb that was to the back in the corners, then i taped that part off and sprayed the rest. I cant see any amber and the bulbs are plenty bright because the back reflects off the mirrored part of the corner.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you do it right, there will be no significant difference in the brightness. The key is to take you time, and do a very light mist from all different angles. Keep the can about 2 feet away when you're spraying. Just do a little bit at a time, and continually check your progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if u leave the back of the bulb unpainted like where it starts to slope down like no amber is visible and it still flashes very will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts