E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
You should ask any German car dealer tech why they don't use that stuff, then ask them what they actually use.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Why do the replies give the effect of doom but don't bother saying why. Many many people have used Sea Foam for decades without issues. So why the posts of doom? If you have something to say how about just saying it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
179,000 miles on my 330 zhp and I have used the stuff at least a dozen times. I notice a small difference when I put it in the gas tank, notice the largest difference when I do the 1/2 in the engine, 1/2 in the gas tank and a 1/2 from an other bottle in the exhaust cold start fan, following all the procedures outlined here on the forum.

I am a common sense engineer, a lot of positive feedback here and in my personal use. I have also borescoped my cylinder heads before and after, it does clean them up nicely.

German car dealer techs must follow the OEM's instructions. I work for a OEM, we are not always as smart as we think we are. Arrogance is the killer of good ideas, that is what I see on the OEM side of the world, especially w/ the larger OEM's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
179,000 miles on my 330 zhp and I have used the stuff at least a dozen times. I notice a small difference when I put it in the gas tank, notice the largest difference when I do the 1/2 in the engine, 1/2 in the gas tank and a 1/2 from an other bottle in the exhaust cold start fan, following all the procedures outlined here on the forum.

I am a common sense engineer, a lot of positive feedback here and in my personal use. I have also borescoped my cylinder heads before and after, it does clean them up nicely.

German car dealer techs must follow the OEM's instructions. I work for a OEM, we are not always as smart as we think we are. Arrogance is the killer of good ideas, that is what I see on the OEM side of the world, especially w/ the larger OEM's.
What/where is the "exhaust cold start fan"

Sent from my XT1563 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also I have used it only in intake, but I use brake booster line and in my car you have to keep the rpms up above 2k for it to not try and stall and let it run for a couple minutes after before turning it off or it will "diesel" and attempt to keep running with key off, let sit for 30 min then smoke out the neighbors lol, but I'd never use it in the oil, use correct oil and change frequently and u wouldn't need it anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also I have used it only in intake, but I use brake booster line and in my car you have to keep the rpms up above 2k for it to not try and stall and let it run for a couple minutes after before turning it off or it will "diesel" and attempt to keep running with key off, let sit for 30 min then smoke out the neighbors lol, but I'd never use it in the oil, use correct oil and change frequently and u wouldn't need it anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using E46Fanatics mobile app

Waiting for Jfoj to swing in and talk about running it for 1k miles in the oil. I've done that and had no issues. I recently did a compression test on my 325 with 181k+ miles on it and the lowest was averaging 161-180 on the cylinders; on a cold engine. Seems to be fine.
Jfoj could elaborate but I believe it's because our sump is rather large & that a full can down the hatch is fine for about 1k miles before an oil change. I add it with the engine running and very small amounts at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,383 Posts
Did this two years ago. No issues and would do it again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts