E46 Fanatics Forum banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a multifunction steering wheel center.
My car is a 323i 1999, that didn't have the multifunction steering wheel.

Right now, I just need the media controls to work.
Just installed it but it's not working. Please help.

If I buy they retrofit (speed) cable, will the cruise control work?

Again, just need the media buttons to work.

Thanks in advance,
Did you ever get this working? Got the same car (2000 year though), installed my new multi-function M sport wheel last night but unsure of what I need to get it all to work. I have a cable throttle so not sure how the crusie will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever get this working? Got the same car (2000 year though), installed my new multi-function M sport wheel last night but unsure of what I need to get it all to work. I have a cable throttle so not sure how the crusie will work.
Hi Steve,
When I fitted my multi-function steering wheel (not M sport) I used BMW Part No 61120016012 (which cost £19.01+VAT in 2015) to get the cruise control working. There are videos on YouTube showing how to fit it. As far as I’m aware, all the six cylinder E46 cars had everything the cruise control installed, whether the option was ticked or not. If it wasn’t ticked the above wiring loom and multi-function steering wheel was all that was missing. Four cylinder cars, however, were different. Hope that helps.

Regards
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve,
When I fitted my multi-function steering wheel (not M sport) I used BMW Part No 61120016012 (which cost £19.01+VAT in 2015) to get the cruise control working. There are videos on YouTube showing how to fit it. As far as I’m aware, all the six cylinder E46 cars had everything the cruise control installed, whether the option was ticked or not. If it wasn’t ticked the above wiring loom and multi-function steering wheel was all that was missing. Four cylinder cars, however, were different. Hope that helps.

Regards
David
Hi David,
That is really helpful, thanks!
Is that cable the only one needed for both cruise control and the multi-function buttons? (volume etc.) My audio buttons currently don't work on the wheel. (My car had the triangle airbag without buttons on before the swap)
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi David,
That is really helpful, thanks!
Is that cable the only one needed for both cruise control and the multi-function buttons? (volume etc.) My audio buttons currently don't work on the wheel. (My car had the triangle airbag without buttons on before the swap)
Thanks,
Steve
If you’re using an OEM BMW radio the volume controls on the steering wheel should be working. My car had the triangle airbag steering wheel originally as well. If you’ve got a 3rd party radio it may not be set up to be controlled from the BMW steering wheel. All I did when I fitted my steering wheel was plug in the yellow (if memory serves) plug into the back of the steering wheel. The wiring loom for the cruise control plugs in under the steering column rather than the wheel itself.
David

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the title suggest this post describes how to retrofit the mfl buttons on a M3 steering wheel (from what I've seen it should be ok for the other types of steering wheels too.) for E46 models from 6/2000 and onwards.

The parts needed are the following:
1)steering wheel cover with the buttons (can be found on ebay for about 50-60 euro)

2)cable set (part no. 611200160120) (about 22 euros from dealer in Greece)

3)The little cable that connects the the buttons to the steering wheel slipring (about 24 euros from dealer in Greece, but I made it myself and the cost was 3 euros :) :) )

There is also an option to buy the whole kit from a dealer (it costs 185 euros in Greece)

We also need the official BMW pdf instruction file which can be found easily if you google it, or I can email it to anyboy who needs it

Sooo lets start....

First of all we have to disconect one of the poles in the battery (be very carefull not ot forget to do it, cause you might end up with an open airbag on your face)

Having done that, we now can remove the airbag unit from the steering wheel. The airbag is kept in its place by 2 springs. On the back side of the wheel there are 2 holes. If we use a flat head screwdriver we can push the springs (one a time) by inserting it in the hole. If we push hard enough and pull the airbag with our other hand, it will come off.

in the following pic which was taken after I removed the airbag, we can see what we have to push (you can see the tip of the screwdriver through the small hole).

Having taken out the airbag we need to unplug very carefully the 2 plugs on the back side. Be very very carefull with the clips because they look very fragile.

Now we need to remove the plastic steering wheel cover. We first remove the 2 inner screws and then another 2 which are on the back side of the steering wheel exactly oposite to the M badge.

The little cable that connects the the buttons to the steering wheel slipring
I know i am really late.. But what parts did you use to build the cable that connects the buttons to the steering wheel slipring?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know i am really late.. But what parts did you use to build the cable that connects the buttons to the steering wheel slipring?
When I bought the the multifunction faceplate for my conversion, it came with the cable that connects it to the steering wheel. I installed it but have yet to get my cruise control or buttons to work yet unfortunately and have not been able to trouble shoot it. I have a couple days this week off work to take another shot at getting it to work so I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, i have e39 2002 525i siemens ms43..
The car was no have multifunctional steering wheel.. i mount multifunction 3 spooke m steering wheel and try to connect everything with tutorial what i see on this forum but my car no have 54pin plug on lights switch.. There is only 4 wires and nothing else..
Now i connect only X10170 PIN 8 to X60004 PIN 27..

Somebody know where to connect X10170 PIN 9 and pin 10 on my car?

161 - 171 of 171 Posts