E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Great writeup! I just used this to help me through a successful retrofit of a multifunction panel on my ZCP M3, which used to just have the "M track mode" button on the steering wheel instead of cruise control, phone, and radio controls. I used a multifunction steering wheel panel from Ebay and the retrofit wiring kit p/n 61120016012 from ECS Tuning.

The following things were different from the writeup due to my car having the ZCP option:
* The 4-pin cable from the steering wheel slip ring to the multifunction panel was already present since it's used for the "M track mode" button
* Pin 8 of connector X10170 controls "M track mode" so it was already wired. I had to remove the wire terminal to install the multifunction retrofit harness wire. I taped it off to prevent errant grounding of the wire, which would enable M track mode. I'll hook it up to a switch later.

Also if you follow the PDF directions it doesn't mention the S54, but the pin for the DME connector is the same as for the M54; pin 27 of the black 40-pin plug.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, sorry to bump the old post. Hehehe, i just bought E46 and already bought Multifunction Steering Wheel. But it is difficult for me to get retrofit cable in my country. Is it ok for me just to connect the diagram details with any regular cable? Or is there any "special" things in the Retrofit Cable that we have to used?

Thanks guys.
Yes you can just connect them with regular wires and splices, but you need to get the pins for the green connector under the steering wheel, and for the DME connector. You might be able to find those pins at the dealer.

The kit is just the pins, wire, and some fancy splice connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts