E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of looking at this::thumbdwn:

I decided to make them look like this :thumbsup:

The process that I followed was fairly easy. If you try to follow yourself, remember that you do it at your own risk and make sure you do it outside where the plastic fumes won't bother you.

In order to replace the tensioner string I went to REI and got their black elastic tent pole cord. It's strong and you can buy it by the foot. They only had black, and I was too lazy to try and find grey, besides I thoughts it might be nice to have a little contrast.

The frame that holds the netting is held in place by melted plastic rivets. I got out my trusty soldering iron and used it to soften the plastic rivets and push back the plastic flange so I can pull the frame on the other side. Initial I melted the first two rivets on each side, but then realized I can do it with only one rivet loosened.

The factory string has a clip on the end that it sandwiched between the plastic frame and a metal pole embedded within the frame to hold the netting. I decided to take a different approach. I drilled a hole above the top rivet so that I can start the elastic from the other side of the seat back. This way in the future if it starts to sag, I can just pull up the slack a reknot the elastic without having to remove the frame.

I knotted the elastic and fished through the hole. On the other side I routed the elastic around the metal pole in the frame and then wove it through the loops on the top of the net until I reached the other side.

On the other side I did exactly the same thing, drilled a hole, wrapped the elastic around the pole and fed through the hole. I then knotted it on the other side

Easy Peazy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
After years of looking at this::thumbdwn:

I decided to make them look like this :thumbsup:

The process that I followed was fairly easy. If you try to follow yourself, remember that you do it at your own risk and make sure you do it outside where the plastic fumes won't bother you.

In order to replace the tensioner string I went to REI and got their black elastic tent pole cord. It's strong and you can buy it by the foot. They only had black, and I was too lazy to try and find grey, besides I thoughts it might be nice to have a little contrast.

The frame that holds the netting is held in place by melted plastic rivets. I got out my trusty soldering iron and used it to soften the plastic rivets and push back the plastic flange so I can pull the frame on the other side. Initial I melted the first two rivets on each side, but then realized I can do it with only one rivet loosened.

The factory string has a clip on the end that it sandwiched between the plastic frame and a metal pole embedded within the frame to hold the netting. I decided to take a different approach. I drilled a hole above the top rivet so that I can start the elastic from the other side of the seat back. This way in the future if it starts to sag, I can just pull up the slack a reknot the elastic without having to remove the frame.

I knotted the elastic and fished through the hole. On the other side I routed the elastic around the metal pole in the frame and then wove it through the loops on the top of the net until I reached the other side.

On the other side I did exactly the same thing, drilled a hole, wrapped the elastic around the pole and fed through the hole. I then knotted it on the other side

Easy Peazy!!
killer post.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TX. I forgot to mention that after you have threaded the new elastic, you use the soldering iron to remelt the rivets to hold the frame back in place. (Then again, this part was probably obvious :))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts