E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
removing tint can cost $100. that is the going rate in many places around here.

BUT removing tint is a simple DIY.
-make sure it is a hot clear day
-spray a heavy *layer* of windex on the tint (normally you would not to clean it since it has ammonia)
-then use large garbage bag and place on the windex-sprayed surface
-let the car sit in the sun for 30 min. or so.
-check to see if the tint sticks to the garbage bag. if not, wait longer. if so, then pull with steady constant force from one edge. the tint should pull off in one piece.
-then be sure to clean the adhesive/glue on the glass. i used small amounts of 3M adhesive remover. be careful not to use too much or it will drip on your doors, rear deck, etc.

that's it.

***disclaimer: do this at your own risk. i am not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

take care.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
???..garbage bag??
It doesnt matter what day it is....clear...rainy...snowing...
All you need is a razor blade, paper towels and some windex
Use the razor blade to peel the top corner of the tint....once you peel back some of the tint..you then use your hands to pull the rest out....
some adhesive glue will be on the glass thats when your windex and razor blade step in....
spray windex on the glass and take out the glue with the razor blade....then use paper towels to clean the glass.
I dont understand why people would pay to take a tint off there car anyone can do it...and i mean anyone.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom3 said:
???..garbage bag??
It doesnt matter what day it is....clear...rainy...snowing...
All you need is a razor blade, paper towels and some windex
Use the razor blade to peel the top corner of the tint....once you peel back some of the tint..you then use your hands to pull the rest out....
some adhesive glue will be on the glass thats when your windex and razor blade step in....
spray windex on the glass and take out the glue with the razor blade....then use paper towels to clean the glass.
I dont understand why people would pay to take a tint off there car anyone can do it...and i mean anyone.
hot sunny day makes it easier. garbage bag allows you to pull it off easily and without getting the adhesive on your hands.

but yeah, razor blade works fine too.

by using the windex and placing the garbage bag on top, if you let it sit long enough, you do not have to use a razor blade to take off the glue.

take care.

·
Registered
24 Posts
very good advice guys. I don't really want to take the tint off my car just yet, but i'll keep this inmind in the event that i don't want it anymore

·
Registered
827 Posts
Tried this method on my old Isuzu. Works great. Much easier than a razor blade.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigjae1976 said:
How about the rear window?
same thing. the key is to get the tint *hot* so black garbage bags work best. it will take 2 or 3 depending on the size you have. just overlap them a few inches. i did an overlap of 6 to 12 in. and do the steps above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmmmm. would have been helpful if I read this BEFORE removing the tint on my el camino. Razor Blade. Worked, but took a while. And lots of little shreds of tinit all over the place.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
her330 said:
hmmmm. would have been helpful if I read this BEFORE removing the tint on my el camino. Razor Blade. Worked, but took a while. And lots of little shreds of tinit all over the place.
sorry to hear that :(

el cominos are awesome.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hmmm... so the garbage bag needs to be taped in the corners or sumthing or it just sticks on from the windex and ite being plastic?

Yeah i dun want to take a razor to the rear window with the defroster. Is the adhesive remover safe on the defroster lines???

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k3nmasters said:
Hmmm... so the garbage bag needs to be taped in the corners or sumthing or it just sticks on from the windex and ite being plastic?

Yeah i dun want to take a razor to the rear window with the defroster. Is the adhesive remover safe on the defroster lines???
no need for tape. the garbage bag will adhere to the window with windex in between.

i would tape an extra garbage bag on top of the door to minimize overspray or dripping windex downward.

i would not use something as strong as adhesive remover.

hth

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
^^ thanks, i will give this a shot. i removed my front tints by simply peeling the tint off and then used a razor and the rough green side of a scotch sponge to remove the glue.

sumhow the rough green side scratched the hell out of the glass and there are some deep scratches and haze everywhere...?!?! These are defanitely scratches tho and not glue residue left on the window.

I used this process on my Honda before and it worked perfect, but was really time consuming. Maybe i pushed too hard on the scotch pad..?!

Ohh well i guess ill take the window to get buffer at a glass shop.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
k3nmasters said:
^^ thanks, i will give this a shot. i removed my front tints by simply peeling the tint off and then used a razor and the rough green side of a scotch sponge to remove the glue.

sumhow the rough green side scratched the hell out of the glass and there are some deep scratches and haze everywhere...?!?! These are defanitely scratches tho and not glue residue left on the window.

I used this process on my Honda before and it worked perfect, but was really time consuming. Maybe i pushed too hard on the scotch pad..?!

Ohh well i guess ill take the window to get buffer at a glass shop.
yeah, scotch sponge can scratch....i should have mentioned using a squegee or plastic card with microfiber towel over its edge

hth

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bimmer07 said:
I'm thinking about getting my 17% all around with a strip on the front changed too 5% all around and 35% on the whole windshield.
ace ventura style night driving foreseen :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

I just sprayed straight ammonia on my tint, peeled it off (luckily came off in 1 piece), then scraped the glue off with a razor blade. Still got the job done.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I once did tint removal at night on a truck. The key is heat, so I placed 2 500w work lights(that put out a lot of heat) about 2 feet away from the window and let it sit like that for ~30 minutes-1hr(in additional to the methods in post #1). It came right off...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
yup ... heat is the key. Just work on removing your tint in the afternoon when the sun is out.

Use a razor blade, and get some windex to help you lube your glass and tint while removing it. To make it easier and a little quicker, make a slit with your razor blade rite down the middle of the tint and work on one half at a time.

took me a MAX total time of 20 mins to remove BOTH windows and clean the residue off using wax and a clean towel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts