E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
this DIY is really not as bad as everyone says it is as long as you have that tool:)

But I bought the UUC polyurethane red bushings but they didnt fit in the carrier:( the metal rod in the middle was BARELY too long... is it ok if i bend the carrier and jam it in there? I was too afraid to do that so i just put the old bushings back in and called it a day... anyone have this experience??

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently did the Meyle FCAB's and was planning on doing the RTAB's soon. Should I stay with the Meyle's on the RTAB's or use the Powerflex???

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My Powerflex bushings finally came in yesterday! They were on back order for 2 weeks from EAS :(
Just finished work not too long ago and I got a few things to take care of and then it's showtime! Hopefully I can get this done in under an hour haha :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
FUDGE... The DIY seems like it doesnt mess up the alignment. I paid a local sponsor here to intsall UUC RTAB bushings and it messed up my alignment and I had to pay another private BMW shop for an alignment..... kinda piss.

·
Registered
32 Posts
guys,
no matter how well you scribe the bracket before you do the install, 95% of you will need an alignment. there is just no way to keep everything "as it was"

the primary issue you'll be facing is the toe of the rear wheels. Just an FYI, do it right and figure a rear end alignment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
guys,
no matter how well you scribe the bracket before you do the install, 95% of you will need an alignment. there is just no way to keep everything "as it was"

the primary issue you'll be facing is the toe of the rear wheels. Just an FYI, do it right and figure a rear end alignment.
I feel abit better, But the shop installed UUC RTAB to more than 30 E46 before I did and I even messaged a 2 members asking once they got RTAB installed from that shop did they need an alignment, and they got back and said no. But i was unlucky i guess.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I got a chance to install the powerflex bushings on saturday. All I have to say is these things are awesome! No more noise, no more bump steer and car handles a tad better. Very happy with the results :)

I'll be getting an alignment in the near future anyways, I just have to replace my siezed tierods first.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the awesome DIY. Got my RTAB tool in the mail today and I will be changing to the powerflex RTABs and FCABs (with new Meyle HD control arms) tomorrow. 77k miles and I can tell it is pretty sloppy. I can't wait for it to drive like it was new again... :woot:

Here is a suggestion for all you fanatics, when you first get your car, go to Firestone and get a "life time" 4 wheel alignment. It was like $150 but after just 3 alignments it has paid for itself. (This time will be #5). You can get an alignment every time you get new tires if you want...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here is a suggestion for all you fanatics, when you first get your car, go to Firestone and get a "life time" 4 wheel alignment. It was like $150 but after just 3 alignments it has paid for itself. (This time will be #5). You can get an alignment every time you get new tires if you want...
Great idea!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks for the awesome DIY. Got my RTAB tool in the mail today and I will be changing to the powerflex RTABs and FCABs (with new Meyle HD control arms) tomorrow. 77k miles and I can tell it is pretty sloppy. I can't wait for it to drive like it was new again... :woot:

Yeah but how often can you go?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah but how often can you go?

As often as you need to... One is located only about 2-3 miles from my house, but I still wind up dropping the car off and having to wait half a day (or more) to get it back. If you bring it in every week they may look at you funny... :loco: Once a year or anytime you do suspension work is probably sufficient.

·
Registered
886 Posts
lol, was thinking more along the lines of every 6-8 months or so

·
Registered
124 Posts
Finished the RTABs and FCAB/control arms today. The RTABs were even easier than I expected. Using an impact wrench and the RTAB tool I pulled the old bushings from the arms in just 12 seconds each (yes I timed it the 2nd time). Definitly the way to go. I would rate this between a oil change and swapping brake pads as far as difficulty. Gotta love them air tools... :) My wife bought me the air compressor for my birthday about 8 or 9 years ago and thought it was a stupid thing to want, but now she sees how it can be really useful.

Front lower control arms and FCABs were just as easy, but a little more time consuming getting the nuts off the inside ball joint with a box end wrench 1/16 turn at a time :banghead: . Used a pickel fork and 3lb sledge to pop the ball joints. Putting it back together was a breeze. Again, gotta love them air tools! :)

Only major problem was I managed to misplace the wheel lock key (turned 42 today and I must be going senile :facepalm: ) after I finished the RTABs and went to lunch. I then had to drive 25min to San Diego BMW to use their master set to pull the wheel locks so I could do the fronts. Great guys in the parts department! Ordered a new "key" for about $7.50. That added about an hour to my job...

Originally I had called Brecht BMW in Escondido (about 10 min from my house) and asked if I could come up and use their master set and the guy told me sure, no problem, Minimum charge is $90. I said "$90??? Seriously??? Just to loosen the wheel locks so I can pull them out?" The guy got all defensive and said they would have to get out the set and find the right key, put it up on a rack(???), minimum charge, blah blah blah. Now thats "Customer Service" from a real Stealership! I swear I will NEVER go back to that place even though it is the BMW dealer closest to my house. Luckily there are 4 or 5 BMW dealers in the San Diego area so I can still get what I need when its urgent.

Now I just take it in for an alignment in the morning (Seems to be driving OK now anyway)...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is the tool used to remove and install the RTABs the same you use to replace the FCABs? I'm trying to figure out what tools I have the have in order to replace both. Does that tools you linked to work for both? GREAT DIY by the way! ver yhelpful with all the pics too!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had no trouble getting the RTABs out with a chisel and a hammer, just hit the metal frame from the outside and keep hitting it. It'll bend in and come out of the inside...
Maybe 30 secs a piece. In my opinion not worth spending the money for a special tool. Definitely helps though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The tool I linked is for the RtAB's only....I think you need a three armed puller for the FCAB's
OK. thanks for the info. I'm going to start working on getting more specific bearing/bushing pressing and pulling tools so I can do more on our cars. Once again, great write-up!

...and NikolaiDelov - I think I'll leave the chiseling up to you.

Reactions: Wills
21 - 40 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.