E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Since I completely removed my sunshade, (the obvious culprit) I don't believe it will ever malfunction again
I have no issues with my actual sunroof, but would love to remove the shade (which is completely off the tracks) before it causes any serious damage to the rest of the mechanism. I have attempted this before, but had to open the sunroof to do so, and once the shade was out, the sunroof would not close. Each time it went the same distance forwards and then stopped and returned to the full open position, as if there is a sensor involved that says the shade needs to be in for the sunroof to move. There was no strain on the system at all, no breaking noises either. Unfortunately I had to put the shade back in in order to get the roof to close. I would really like to get the shade out but keep my sunroof in fully working order. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is no sensor that checks for the shade and it will work fine without the shade. Your sunroof is catching on something and reversing. It could be a piece broken off the shade or the driver that is on the driver's side of the car. Take the glass and shade out so that you can see what is going on with it. It will still open/close without either of them installed and can see back into the roof cavity to see what it's catching on. There are 3 screws (torx 20 or 25, I think) on each side that hold the glass in.
Awesome, this is exactly the answer I've been looking for, I'll do this once a nice day comes around. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your welcome. Just make sure when you put the glass back in that you adjust it to where it is even with the top of the car. Notice how it is aligned before you take it out. Once you loosen all of the screws it will drop just a little most likely. But don't sweat it, removing/adjusting it is easy.
Yeah I've read that the glass needs adjustment after it is re installed, seems simple enough though. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.