E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally had it with the ugly wood trim and I am trying something new with my day off.

Here is a before shot of my interior.

Here are the supplies.

Trim sanded then 3 coats of primer.

Update soon to come!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE!

After hours of recoating and waiting for the paint to dry....
This was the result :)

The color was metallic charcoal by dupicolor, which looks a little darker in person. I think it looks pretty good! :woot:

·
Registered
516 Posts
how long did this take you? looks nice

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how long did this take you? looks nice
Thanks! It took me about 7 hours or so, I really took my time letting each coat set and dry for about 30-40 mins. I used 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done , Nice job..
Thanks!
For those of you wanting to do this the process is pretty simple, it just takes time.
1. CLEAN YOUR WORKSPACE! I can't stress this enough, it will save you a few hours of work. I cleaned my garage before hand and I still had little pieces of debris flying around. You don't want these little pieces landing on your fresh paint.

2. Then use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the trim pieces and wipe them down to get and debris off of them.

3. Use a light sand paper to scuff up the trim pieces. This is so the paint has something to bite to. Then clean the trim with water.

4. Use primer to spray light even coats on the trim pieces.

5. After 3-4 coats of primer (20-40 mins between coats), lightly scuff the trim and clean the pieces with water.

6. Then use 3-4 coats of paint (20-40 mins between coats).

7. Then use 4 coats of clear coats (20-40 mins between coats).

8. Let the trim set for a few hours then reinstall!

Enjoy! :str8pimpi

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys! What do you guys think about dying the door inserts imola red? I think it would look good with the new trim, and I would get color matched shift boot and e-brake boot also. Question is, would this look out of place without imola seats?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had the balls to do this, I would.
I said the same thing a month ago then I finally bit the bullet and tried it. Just take your time and you won't regret it! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good work. I would do this to. I'm concerned that the shifter would eventually rub off and the trim around the shifter would easily scratch. I hope it holds up. I think dying the doors would be a little too much. Looks cleaner with your seats black.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I said the same thing a month ago then I finally bit the bullet and tried it. Just take your time and you won't regret it! :)
Yeah, but I also have that "what if I sell my car and I want to put the old trim back in" thing in my head. Also a goalie for a captain? You don't see that too often. Played ice hockey for 12 out of my 20 years and haven't seen that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, but I also have that "what if I sell my car and I want to put the old trim back in" thing in my head. Also a goalie for a captain? You don't see that too often. Played ice hockey for 12 out of my 20 years and haven't seen that.
Yea I still have that in my head now, but I'm sure I can find some wood trim from somebody on the forum for pretty cheap if that is the case. As for being a captain, our coach decided to let the players choose the captain for this past season and a majority chose me. It was a huge honor.

Good work. I would do this to. I'm concerned that the shifter would eventually rub off and the trim around the shifter would easily scratch. I hope it holds up. I think dying the doors would be a little too much. Looks cleaner with your seats black.
I am a little worried about the shifter, I am going to order a black or cf shift knob for that reason. But I think it should be fine with the trim around. I dropped my keys on it this morning and I about $h!t myself, but no harm done!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow I feel stupid for that ?
I just saw it after I posted
Haha it's all good. I used 220 at first when I took of the trim because there is quite a bit of clear on the trim already. Then I cleaned the trim off, and used 600 after that. If you decide to wet sand inbetween coats, I would use something a little finer grade than that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just did mine. I did a metallic silver to match my exterior. It turned out really good but I put to much clear on and had to re-sand a few pieces and now ts finished looking great.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just did mine. I did a metallic silver to match my exterior. It turned out really good but I put to much clear on and had to re-sand a few pieces and now ts finished looking great.
Post some pics man I'd like to see your work. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts