BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my DIY for replacing the regular e39 license plate lights used on the CSL bootlids with the latest OEM LED license plate lighting that comes on the new e60/e90/e92 models.

Fortunately for us E46 owners, we are not subject to any bulb-out errors on the dash, so this is a true plug-n-play option.

Parts needed:

2 BMW LED registration lights (# 63 26 7 193 293) $15/each
2 BMW Universal Socket aka plug connector (# 61 13 6 925 634) $1.40 each
4 BMW Bushing Contacts aka pin contacts (# 61 13 1 383 776) if you want to build your own wire. $0.28 each. I bought 10 as you can see from the pic below.
some 20 or 22 guage wire
heat shrink
or
4 Bushing Contacs with wire (# 61 13 0 005 197) $1.28 each

Pic of parts needed.

If you decide to build your own wire connectors, you'll need some 20 or 22 guage wire. I had these spools handy and although they're different guages, they can be mixed and used.

Strip some wire for the bushing contacts:

Crimp the front part of the bushing contact onto the wire with a 28 guage crimp:

Crimpt the back part of the bushing contact onto the wire insulation with a 26 guage crimp:

It should look like this when your're done. Make 2 sets in 1 color and 2 sets in another color:

When the bushing contacts plug into the connector, they are REALLY close to each other, so I used some heat shrink to make sure they would not come into contact with each other and cause a short.:

Push the bushing contacts into the connector, then plug the connector onto the light. There is a positive and negative side. Note the orientation:

The trunk wire harness has a connector for the license plate lights. There are three wires but you only need 2. The gray wire (+) and the brown wire (-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Personally, I like to solder connections, but you can use butt connectors, crimp connectors etc to connect the wires together:

Heat shrink shrunk. Note I used some heat shrink as well on the unused wire.

I put some electrical tape over all the heatshrink and made a bundle:

Turn on your lights and test:

Clip the lights onto the trunk:

Finished pic. They look really clean:

OEM looks, fitment and quality. No more yellowish lights:

Fun pic. I started playing with the exposure settings on the point and shoot cannon. This pic was taken at 11pm with an 8 second shutter delay and no flash:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great Job brother Man

I installed my CSL trunk last nite also.. But i own a 2001 330i and have the Handle trim/ stripe on the trunk i gotta install, IM wrapping minez up in Black vinyl since i dont want to Paint it ..

also can i replace my yellowy bulbs for the whiter ones u have on my 01 330i?.. what color is that Blue.white??

was there any FITAMENT issues with ur Trunk?.. i had to CUstom sand down/. grind some Fiberglass a Bit on the inside where the tailights connect to the trunk..

Also I did a Trunk KEY DELETE, didnt install it and PLugging Up my Keyhole since we have automatic trunk POPPERS :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Will this fit a regular E46 trunk?

I had higher wattage blue "xenon" halogen bulbs that melted the clear plastic bulb holders on my trunk so I'm hoping this LED replacement will fit. And these OEM LEDs probably won't die and burn out like those aftermarket LED bulbs we fit in our OEM halogen holders.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't believe they'll fit. The license plate lights on an E46 are not the same style as the ones used on E39/E60/E90/E92/E46 M3 CSL license plate lights.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Job brother Man

I installed my CSL trunk last nite also.. But i own a 2001 330i and have the Handle trim/ stripe on the trunk i gotta install, IM wrapping minez up in Black vinyl since i dont want to Paint it ..

also can i replace my yellowy bulbs for the whiter ones u have on my 01 330i?.. what color is that Blue.white??

was there any FITAMENT issues with ur Trunk?.. i had to CUstom sand down/. grind some Fiberglass a Bit on the inside where the tailights connect to the trunk..

Also I did a Trunk KEY DELETE, didnt install it and PLugging Up my Keyhole since we have automatic trunk POPPERS :)
yeah, my trunk did need some dremelling and sanding, but nothing major. fitment was pretty good. if you have the handle on the trunk, you'll need to order aftermarket festoon LED lights. the ones I posted up here are OEM, but I don't believe they'll work for cars with the trunk handle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
great threads and tks to " Got_S54 ".

But just in case there are folks out there trying to reference this for their E46 cabrio, pls note 63 26 7 193 293 does not fit the E46 cabrio and you have to dissemble the part down to the LED integrated PCB ( about ~2mm thick ) and secure it on the back of original Lens to workaround.

·
Registered
995 Posts
so can these oem LED lights fit in regular e46 trunk handles?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well, I accidently bought these E90 OEM LEDs before reading that this will only fit the Vorsteiner, I currently have a Euro-Spec CF trunk using the OEM pre-facelifted trunk handle... and well, I guess I'll be trying to retrofit this one for all of us outdated members.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
995 Posts
well, I accidently bought these E90 OEM LEDs before reading that this will only fit the Vorsteiner, I currently have a Euro-Spec CF trunk using the OEM pre-facelifted trunk handle... and well, I guess I'll be trying to retrofit this one for all of us outdated members.

Wish me luck!
keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts