BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
:tsk: The ribbon connectors pp are still in the dark. I'll try to work on my ribbons tomorrow.:cry:
A ribbon cable is essential wires in a sense, you would just need to figure out what pinouts from the ribbon connectors do what. You could cut the ribbon cable in halve and splice the wires to a connector.

Thats a lot of work just to get mirrors to autofold :D Hopefully I don't have to do that because I already have memory mirrors with reverse tilt, so what else do I need?
You may already have the mirror memory modules, but you will still have to access the fuse panel for F57 in order to do it the OEM way at least or you could go the simple way and find any old 12v source.

Jared

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, Jared, I have a set of ACS mirrors that do not fold but i would like to add the auto tilt function only.
Do i still need to get the mirror memory modules that mount on the doors to get this to work?, and if so what wiring mods will i have to do?.
Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a 330i 2001. with memory and autotilt.

i bought the autofolding mirrors from eurospec, they are painted and installed...it was just plug and play...the mirrors work fine. i have 12 pin mirror...i ordered the switch from bmw. do i need to rewire...or will the switch plug and play...how can i check so i can prepare before my part comes in?

argh i never thought these mirrors would be so much trouble to work...

as i understand it...i also have to rewire if i want the mirrors to be conected to my remote control.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi, Jared, I have a set of ACS mirrors that do not fold but i would like to add the auto tilt function only.
Do i still need to get the mirror memory modules that mount on the doors to get this to work?, and if so what wiring mods will i have to do?.
Cheers
Yup you would still need the memory modules and the wiring should be exactly as I posted granted you have 12 pin mirrors like in the DIY.

i have a 330i 2001. with memory and autotilt.

i bought the autofolding mirrors from eurospec, they are painted and installed...it was just plug and play...the mirrors work fine. i have 12 pin mirror...i ordered the switch from bmw. do i need to rewire...or will the switch plug and play...how can i check so i can prepare before my part comes in?

argh i never thought these mirrors would be so much trouble to work...

as i understand it...i also have to rewire if i want the mirrors to be conected to my remote control.
I don't follow, does your car already have mirrors that fold and reverse tilt? If so no other wiring modifications should be needed unless of course you are swapping between 6 pin, 12 pin or ribbon cabled mirrors.

Also I keep hearing this key working with mirror memory setting feature, I'm not sure exactly what it's all about to be honest (Someone inform me). I t most likely would need coding work to be done at the dealer for it to work though.

Jared

·
Registered
121 Posts
i bought auto folding mirrrors from eurospec...they are twelve pin...my car was twelve pin.....i then bought the switch from bmw... my car did not originally have auto folding mirrors. it only had the auto tilt feature when i put it in reverse..but i purchased autofolding mirrors and installed them.... not sure if that cleared anythign up?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i bought auto folding mirrrors from eurospec...they are twelve pin...my car was twelve pin.....i then bought the switch from bmw... my car did not originally have auto folding mirrors. it only had the auto tilt feature when i put it in reverse..but i purchased autofolding mirrors and installed them.... not sure if that cleared anythign up?
Ok that cleared things up. Well if you had reverse tilt then you should have the mirror modules (Not 100% sure though). Your best bet would be to pull the door panels to find out. And as for the wiring it would be the same as in the DIY I posted.

Jared

·
Registered
121 Posts
I FINALLY GOT MY CAR! wahoooooooooooooo! ill post of my mirrors up soon....

ok...i have the switch...do i need to remove the door cover to replace it...or i do i just pry it out?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just use a thin flathead and pop the switch up just enough to grab with your fingers.

Nice mirrors!

Jared

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To sum up....

12 pin mirrors have the 2 rows switch and 6 pin mirrors have the 1 row switch?

Is this correct?
No because I'm using a switch that has only 1 row 6pin connector and I have 12 pin mirrors.

Jared

·
Registered
12 Posts
so were your mirrors originally 6 pin and your new ones were 12 pin?(just asking because you say you bought 2 12 pin connectors.)
My car is 6 pin and i want to retrofit the autofold.
the new ones i got from euro spec are 12 pin, so do i just need to do exactly what you did? I dont have power seats or the reverse tilt.
Any help to make this job more clear for when I do it would help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes thats correct mine were 6 pin mirrors stock, then I purchased a pair of M3 replica's 12pin off ebay.

Jared

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

just wanted to ask a question, since all the stuff about 6-pin and 12-pin is a little bit confusing.
I have a german spec e46 coupe with n42 engine (2 lt). It came from factory with power-heated seats with memory, and also it has the mirror tilt option when I put reverse gear in. It even has this switch already installed.

(I borrowed the image from Ivegotissues666 -btw thank u for that and also the write up)

Do u think my car is pre wired and ready, and I just have to swap the stock mirrors with the ones with motor?

thanx in advance fo all the replies....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just checked the fuse panel and I saw that there is a 5 amp fuse in position 57. So I guess I just need the mirrors and nothing else (wiring loom, switches etc). I just need a last confirmation from someone with greater experience than me on the case.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts