BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
10bmw10 said:
nice writeup, if someone ends up doing one for the rears that would be awesome! I wish they came in the rear seats also :(

I totally understand how you felt on no comments, i made an old write up on an alternator change but nobody really cared so i said **** it im not gonna post anymore diys.

great job!

Brian
Thanks I know exactly how you feel I've posted quite a few other DIY's IE:

DIY: Post-Cat O2 sensors w/intro to Precat O2 sensor (Installation and Removal)
DIY: UUC Pulley Install
DIY: OEM Footwell lighting
DIY: Heated Steering Wheel

And still got little to none comments/feedback etc..

And thanks to everyone else for your comments.

Jared

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
LAFENGAS said:
I'll be refering to this DIY when I attempt to do my rear seats. That's a lot of information on the wiring... where'd you find it?
Here's the PDF file of the heated seat retrofit. It gives he electrical schematics but are a little confusing. I just simplified it to where exactly the wires would be going. If you need any help just let me know. I have a few ideas of how to add just single heated seat buttonsin the rear instead of another whole accessory panel like I posted above.

http://www.angelfire.com/myband2/ds/heated_seats-English.pdf

Pigeon said:
Nice job. Just a few comments:

When I swapped in my M3 seats I pulled the entire seat with rails out, just unbolt the one bolt that holds the seat belt end to the outboard rail - that way you don't have to disassemble the rail in the car as I noticed you did.

The seat belt tensioners (the buckle end of the belt) don't have to be changed. Just disassemble the yellow underseat connector attached to the seat by pulling off the black cover (slides off one way) and then the individual plugs for the seat belt tensioner circuit, power adjustments and heating can be removed from the "master" plug and swapped out as needed. I had to do this with my M3 seats as well since the new tensioners had different wiring so I had to reinstall the old ones to keep the airbag computer happy. BTW, that tensioner is an explosive, be careful with it.

Enjoy your warm seats!

Scott
Thank you for your comments, I did notice that one bolt I think it was a 17mm but I didnt have an open ended wrench to clear a portion of the real. As for the wiring being different. so far the only difference I noted was on the passenger side with the airbag seat sensor which I never replugged back in for I am awaiting some power seat frames to come in. But I will double check the wiring. Thank You

sli said:
Fantastic writeup!!! I am in awe of your ingenuity. I've been poking around trying to find out if it can be done. FANTASTIC! When I bought my car, they had one coming in with everything I wanted but heated seats. I was told it could be done later - no way from the dealer. Where can I get the Heat Seat Elements Baffles? I called a BMW recyler he had no idea what I was talking about - though I was asking for the heated seats element. I wonder it RealOEM.com has the part? Any help on where to get the other parts? THANK YOU!!!!
Thank youfor your comments. As for where to get the heated elements I'm pretty sure you can get them from the dealer. Only problem is you will most likely have to either by the whole seat or the baffle portions with the cushions either one of those especially from the dealer is going to be $$$ but then again it may be worth it since you wouldn't have to take it to an upholstry shop.

When askingthe BMW recyclers just ask them if they have heated seats and if yes they do ask them how much for just the covers (Leather portions) of the seat. The heated elements are built into them.

I got lucky and a fellow fanatic happened to be selling them. It was a rare find for me since I frequently check the Classified section and this was the first time I saw one for heated elements.

Unitim said:
Frankly, I would feel like "F U ALL I'm not posting any DIYs or tips and tricks for this and that anymore". :thanks:
Thank you I'm glad you understood what I meant and how I felt. I know this DIY section of the forum probably get barely any traffic anymre I probably would have been better off posting in the showroom forum

Unitim said:
Thanx for a compliment on the seats! Made my day.
I wish I had your :nerd: knowledge about electrical stuff in our cars. :bow: Probably I just need to start to mess with it (never did it at all).

I'm gonna be throwing in powered&heated seats in my manual seats car. I've noticed there is already some kinda harness with plug underneath the seat. Hopefully it's gonna be plug&play, but I'm concerned about wiring the seat heater buttons. I have a wrecked car with a premium package so I'll be getting all the parts out of it and just have that little concern if nothing's gonna work out. You know - never tried to mess with electrical stuff. Don't even know where the fuze box is located. lol. Though I heard there is 2 of them. I'll be hoping your thread will help me to achieve the desired results.
Thank you and if you need any assistance just PM me.

Jared

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
For those who may be interested.... I may be selling my heating elements from my seats.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice write up. I am interested in someone converting the standard seat bottoms to sport with the thigh extension that is. The pieces can be ordered and are not expensive, hopefully some has tried this. I cannot stand these seats, they are not long enough!

Once again nice job! :)

·
Banned
2,541 Posts
Amazing!

It is people like you that keeps this forum alive. Way too many people care about the off topics and showroom forums than anything else. You are a true fanatic.

Anyhow, Thanks for the write-up.

My car already have heated seats. I am going to remove my heating elements/baffle and install it on some M3 seats that I am going to buy.

Do you have any suggestions or tips. Do you think the heated element can be done by yourself or do you recommend me bringing it to a leather shop.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Bill

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ADA said:
Amazing!

It is people like you that keeps this forum alive. Way too many people care about the off topics and showroom forums than anything else. You are a true fanatic.

Anyhow, Thanks for the write-up.

My car already have heated seats. I am going to remove my heating elements/baffle and install it on some M3 seats that I am going to buy.

Do you have any suggestions or tips. Do you think the heated element can be done by yourself or do you recommend me bringing it to a leather shop.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Bill
I know what you mean about OT and the showroom forum.

Anyways to answer your questions removing the leather cushioning and padding is fairly easy just a little time consuming.

First you want to remove the backrest portion of the seat beleive it or not it's only held on by 2 - T-45 or T-50 Hex screws and ten it will slide off so you can have 2 seperate peices to work with.

Well here are some pictures if you need more just let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

As for putting in the heated elements yourself sure you can but honestly you will need a special machine to do it. Honestly it wasn't worth my time,and even the upholstry shop didn't sew my elements back in like OEM style but they still work great.

I was thinking about doing it but after noicing all this double stitching through the leather. I knew a regular sewing needle and thread wasn't going to cut it plus it would have definately been time consuming for that matter.

In the future I intend on doing rear heated seats so I might try out my sewing skills.

In the end it's up to you is it worth the hours upons hours of sewing trial and error to get it correct or just take it to a shop that has the experience (Unlike Mine) to get it done.

Let me know if that clarified everything. Once you have a guide it's fairly straight forward.

Jared

·
Banned
2,541 Posts
Thanks!!! I love retrofitting my 2000 323i with newer functions found on later model. It is more expensive but is worth it! So fun and challenging.

If you ever need help with the following let me know (or you can search for them on e46fan)

OEM Retrofit:

-halogen to xenon retrofit
-xenon auto-level retrofit
-SMG paddles on non M3 steering wheel retrofit
-rear fog lights retrofit
-facelifted tail ligts on pre-facelift retro
-rain/light sensor---coming soon

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
wow... nice. I really want to put heated seats in my wifes car. She loves mine. I can't live without them now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great instructions! I plan on using these to work on a seat frame issue. :thumbsup:
Would you recommended replacing a bent seat frame (both backrest and seat mechanism) than trying to repair? Did you happen to have some new seat mechanism and backrest frames? If so, what is your cost + shipping?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
mmamales said:
Great instructions! I plan on using these to work on a seat frame issue.
Would you recommended replacing a bent seat frame (both backrest and seat mechanism) than trying to repair? Did you happen to have some new seat mechanism and backrest frames? If so, what is your cost + shipping?]

No sorry I don't have extra seat frames nor did I have to deal with bending them back to shape. But if it were a minor bend I don't see why not but anything too major then I'd probably just get another set.

Jared

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
damn looks like a LOT of work
hats off to you!

retrofitting heated seats: 480 dollars
having a warm ass during these cold-ass mornings: priceless

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just got done with this mod 2 weeks ago. I love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks!

Awesome resource! Now we can all upgrade. Any idea what the part #'s are for the specific connectors? Especially harness pin connectors and fuse panel connector.

Thanks,
RJ

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am working on sourcing the parts for this mod. Do you know if I will be able to remove heated seat elements from an existing seat to use? Or are they woven in from the factory in a way that make removal difficult/impossible?

21 - 40 of 197 Posts