Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Parts required:

Clamping bush d=50mm (2x) 18 30 7 560 777

Here are a few pictures of the stock exhaust system:

Front section:

Step 1:

The first step is to remove the stock rear muffler. You need to cut through the stock exhaust system, the cut line is here directly below where my drive shaft gaiter is. This is the line BMW use when replacing the rear muffler.

Next disconnect the vacuum hose from the exhaust flap.

Now remove the nuts holding the brackets on the stock muffler to the body. Two nuts per bracket, two brackets - one on each side.

Now remove the muffler from the car. Take care - the weight is approximately 15kg. Now you can remove the two brackets from the muffler (as seen below), we will reuse these.

Step 2:

Step two is to produce pipes and bracketry to replace the stock rear muffler. This may not be a DIY step but this is a very easy job for any exhaust place.

I used mild steel pipe (half the price of stainless). You can see I used some tabs between the pipes to increase the rigidity.

The clamps state 45Nm torque value on them but this is too much, around 30Nm will suffice.

You can reuse the original brackets now by bending a bar to span them and then dropping a hanger down to the new pipes.

Job done :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, turns out the total removed weight is 14.591 kg (32 lbs) for the muffler, vibration absorber and trims. I have yet to weigh the pipes but the clamps are 0.746 kg (1.6 lbs) for the pair.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few better pictures, I was going for that E30 M3 look.

·
Registered
28,945 Posts
Well done :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it gonna rust as soon as moisture hits it????
No more than the stock system you can see in the pics.

needs tips. pipes are too small. looks ugly imo. but i know it'll sound pretty good.
I might get some tips in the future, might be worth mentioning these will be predominantly used for the track so I'm not too worried about the cosmetics.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of pics off the car, total removed weight is 14.591 kg as above, total returned weight in pipes and clamps is 3.476 kg, hence weight saving of 11.115 kg (24.5 lbs).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it looks bad. I know it doesn't sound good. And you'll never be able to put headers with it, so it really doesn't make for a good performance upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, mine doesn't look or sound good either. I make plenty of sad faces around my car lately.
Bah I am going to get some tips (it was always an option) and I think it sounds good. I already have M52 headers (i.e. decatted) but have cats downstream so it sounds fine. I will also use them for the track mostly.

My diff clunk makes me have sad faces recently :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
This looks great and I am tempted to do this ASAP, but with some tips.
I'm curious how you get a good seal with these clamps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know the angles that the pipes are bent I want to do this soon and need to know the dimensions so I can get the pipes and get them bent

1 - 18 of 18 Posts