BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi-

I did my lower control arms, bushings and bushing carriers. I shot some video and slapped it all together. Parts: Hamman lower control arms and bushings pre-installed into new carriers. All off of Amazon, ran me about $270 in parts, $10 for the pickle fork I didn't have.

https://vimeo.com/83072647

What I left out was installing the bushings onto the control arms. Basically, I just used some soapy water so slide them on (beat it a bit with a dead blow) and then let it dry.

I took about 3 hours total of really taking my time. Driver's side is MUCH harder than passenger side. (Passenger side I did second and it only took me about 45 minutes.)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Wait, so you did not need a press tool for the bushings? I'm considering buying used control arms from Bav auto recycling because they offer to pre press the bushings in..

·
Registered
855 Posts
You can purchase the bushing housing with a new bushing installed.
I purchased new control arms with attached bushings, if you wanted a complete and easy swap.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
no way to get socket and tq wrench on either inner or outer bj nut, how did you q to spec?

·
Registered
902 Posts
no way to get socket and tq wrench on either inner or outer bj nut, how did you q to spec?
Yeah do tell. I have a set of arms at the house and I looked into doing this but see no way to torque them. I also have not come across any other DIY talking about this either.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
i just wrench tightened the sheet out of em

you need 4 box wrenches

18mm,19mm,21mm,22mm

19 can be rachet but don't bother with others, can't get box end on inner bj nut , need to use open and flip

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Not to rain on your parade......but the brand of parts used, are not the best quality.
People been using meyle hd ca for years

Enlighten us

Edit:
Had this confused with another thread
Yes op
Amazon no buenos
I got meyle hd from bma parts for $320 shipped
Full kit
Buenos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts