BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram your own key or do you have to go to the dealer?

I'm hoping that there is an Easter egg out there for this.

Thanks

·
can ya spare some change?
811 Posts
dillard said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram your own key or do you have to go to the dealer?

I'm hoping that there is an Easter egg out there for this.

Thanks
By reprogramming your key, what do you mean? Do you have a remote key where the remote doesn't works and need it reprogrammed? If so, yes you can re-code it yourself.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have to go to the dealer. when my dealer did it , he got in my drivers seat and closed the door in front of me and I couldn't see what he was doing (hehe my tint is 20%:D )

So yes go to the dealer, only takes a couple of minutes to do

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am interesting in knowing how to program the following functions.

automatically lock the doors
make the driver seat goes to the preset position
etc,

How does the dealer does it? Do they have a special tool? Why doesn't BMW let us do it ourselves? :banghead:

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Yeah, you know what.... the same thing happened at my dealer. I got 35% and couldnt see what he was doing either because the garage was dark ... oh well ... so I THINK its possible. But on the other hand I think that might just be resyncing the key.

AdamR

sanman10535 said:
Have to go to the dealer. when my dealer did it , he got in my drivers seat and closed the door in front of me and I couldn't see what he was doing (hehe my tint is 20%:D )

So yes go to the dealer, only takes a couple of minutes to do

·
811 Posts
To re-code your key so that the remote functions work, you can DIY...... for the automatic door locks, memory seat pre-sets, etc. You need to go to the dealer as this can only be done with the computer that they hook up to your car. This has nothing to do with the key itself.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My remote function works fine. I have a convertible and I want to be able to roll down the top by holding my unlock button.

My dealer tells me that it can't be done but I've heard and read that it can. I don't know why he won't do it for me if it is a feature.

I can do it by putting my key in the door and holding it in the unlock position but I want to do it from the romote so I'll be a Mac-daddy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
100% sure DIY. close the doors. turn ign on. turn ign off. take key out and while depressing unlock press lock 3 times and the key fob will blink and the doors wil cycle lock and unlock. or maybe its lock and unlock reversed... but anyways that how you do it.... o you have to it for all the keys the cycle ign one more time to stop programming.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M3S52 said:
100% sure DIY. close the doors. turn ign on. turn ign off. take key out and while depressing unlock press lock 3 times and the key fob will blink and the doors wil cycle lock and unlock. or maybe its lock and unlock reversed... but anyways that how you do it.... o you have to it for all the keys the cycle ign one more time to stop programming.
What exactly does this do?:dunno:

·
811 Posts
dillard said:

What exactly does this do?:dunno:
That codes the remote control so that it can be used with your car. It DOE NOT change the internal BMW computer configuration so that your windows roll down while holding the unlock button. Rolling the windows down has nothing to do with the key. What you want is for the computer in the car to know that if the unlock car signal last for more than XX seconds, to roll down the window. To achieve this, you need the dealer to do it unless you own a MoDiC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you cannot control the operation of your convertible top with your key (other than in the door) in north america.

I wanted this option as well but they got rid of it due to safety concerns. My understanding is that it will only work on European models.

·
Registered
742 Posts
PowerDrift said:

That codes the remote control so that it can be used with your car. It DOE NOT change the internal BMW computer configuration so that your windows roll down while holding the unlock button. Rolling the windows down has nothing to do with the key. What you want is for the computer in the car to know that if the unlock car signal last for more than XX seconds, to roll down the window. To achieve this, you need the dealer to do it unless you own a MoDiC.
Sure he can go purhcase a MoDiC.....Its only $20,000 :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
668 Posts
A Modic is the computer used to program the OBD-II on the bmw. Its what the mechanics use to read the data from your car, analyse it, etc, its essential for any garage that does work on BMW's to have one. Out of the hobbyists price range though!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It will work on our cars, the dealer just won't do it . one of the Techs at my dealer has the window up feateure on his car, but they won't do it to a customers car.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Not trying to hijack this post, but something along the same line:

Is it possible to have the dealer code the key to roll UP the windows after exiting the car in the United States? I have an '02 330i incase that matters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ambasah said:
you cannot control the operation of your convertible top with your key (other than in the door) in north america.

I wanted this option as well but they got rid of it due to safety concerns. My understanding is that it will only work on European models.
Ambasah,

This is my understanding too. However, I do have a European model. I purchased a US Spec BMW while I was living in Italy. My car has all the European features. But even though I explained this to my BMW service guy, he still sticks to the story that it can't be done. Maybe I'll try another BMW dealer.:tongue:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts