BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

Ref: E46 325Ci sport convertible 2002

In a recent post I discovered I had to make a modification to the wiring loom to get an after market Xenon head light kit working. This problem caused the lights to fail or flicker only when the engine was running. With the great help I made the modifcations and took some photos on the way:
This is what we are trying to achieve:

1. You will have a plug with a grey end which plugs into your orginal headlight, this has 2 wires coming off of it which are brown (earth) yellow (live). You need to expose the wire by cutting back some of the insulated plastic coating, like so:

2. You shall then have to solder 2 short pieces of wire from each of these exposed areas of wire:

3. These will need to be connected too the capacitor, I have used a screw type ficing here as i felt that if I need to replace the capacitor, this will allow me to do so stress free. Please note that minus to minus and plu to plus on the capacitor!

4. You should have something that looks like this:

Mines abit messy in the pictures, in order to show what I did. I have now taped all away and hidden. The lights now work perfectly.

The capacitors are on maplin website, Code VH57M is the one (PC Elect 4700uF 16v - 61p each):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13472

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope... but if you flash the head lights before you get out the stay on for like 30 seconds anyway!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine has the same problem! Cheers for the info. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank You !

I never had the flicker or any other on or off issues regarding 35W, I only had the bulb out error when I upgraded to 55W (once lights were on the bulb out error disappears).

I used the capacitors you recommended and followed the project install at :

http://www.argyrides.eu/bmw/mods/bi-xenon_install_lcm/xenon_lcm.htm

(wanted it to be as tidy as possible)

What you need:

1. 2 x 4700uF Capacitors at 16v (one for each headlight)
2. 2 x Small project boxes to fit capacitors in (A must for stock install, nice and tidy)

Everything is fine with no bulb out error ! Thanks !!! :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
your battery and alternator voltage doesn't even go up that high, so it shouldn't even matter. But the 35v 4700uF is fine...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get any of these capacitors? RadioShack is sold out and I need my headlights to work.. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
As for the capasitor voltage, 16v should work but i would put a 35v as the normal working voltage of the car is 13,8v but seems that it is not a perfect electronic circuit it may have peaks that go over 16v, a few peaks will not damage the cap but if you have a older BMW this might cause the cap to blow in a bit of time. 35V caps are just a little bit bigger but much better in this case i would say, plus if you find gold lined caps they are even better because they resist better to heat. I would recomend this one:

http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/elettrolitici/7328254/

It has a 105°c 221°f working temp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts