E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all, I have to say that this was an excellent idea for a DIY; it's one of the few mods that's fairly easy to do, :pimpin:, and USEFULL! Combine that with very detailed and easy to follow instructions, and we have take off :smokin:.

However, for those of us with the sport package, there does exist an obvious problem. Hence, the idea of a 3-spoke heated steering wheel would be a really interesting project. Especially for those of us in colder climates (Canada :dennis:). Anyone have more information on whether the 5-series idea would work, or any other ideas/avenues to explore?

·
Registered
3 Posts
:banghead:, how was I under the impression that it was? Must have been a bit :jab:, sry. But you say that it will fit all e46's as long as we get/have a round airbag, so anyone have a clue what car this wheel is from? Is it from the E39 m5 by any chance? Because he seems to mention the e39 5-series in his description, and the wheel looks very similar to this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=32_1234&hg=32&fg=35
In which case any of these wheels will work:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DN53&mospid=47588&hg=32&fg=35
But are any of the sport ones here heated!?:hmm:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings:

I realize this is an OLD thread (See, search really does work !)

Just picked up an 06 X5 today. Since I don't have a heated steering wheel, I have a recirc button where the heat button would be.

Anyone know if the process (I also have a 4 spoke steering wheel w/airbag) would be the same for an E53 as for an E46. There is a reliable source for the heated steering wheel on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-X3-E83-X5-E53-HEATED-Leather-Steering-Wheel-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10374QQihZ011QQitemZ320119930890QQrdZ1

Anyone (particularly in the Central NJ area) who has done this, please let me know you experience..also where to find the extra parts?

Thanks !
ED in Metuchen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for bumping a fairly old thread, but does anybody have the part number for the heated wheel?

My dad has a bad case of arthritis and badly wants me to replace my current wheel with this one, but I am having trouble finding the part number.

Thanks!

You dont mention what model so I can't tell you for certain, BUT I bought mine from eBay. The name of the seller is AGE Tuning, his name is galbeli, and he ships from Sweden. Dont let that concern you. I got my wheel in 4 days and I'm in NJ.

Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X5-X3-4-8-4-4-3-0-HEATED-Steering-Wheel-00-06-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ011QQitemZ320177894704QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
677 Posts
Might do the canadiantire thing for our ford excursion but definitely going to get the E53/59 heated wheel for the bmw.

edco thanks for the link to the seller, I found the wheel that looks similar to what's in the e46 from the factory. However, the e53 wheel looks like the wheel itself is covered in more of a neoprene substance as opposed to the faux leather in the e46, can you confirm this or is it just the angle of the photo?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Might do the canadiantire thing for our ford excursion but definitely going to get the E53/59 heated wheel for the bmw.

edco thanks for the link to the seller, I found the wheel that looks similar to what's in the e46 from the factory. However, the e53 wheel looks like the wheel itself is covered in more of a neoprene substance as opposed to the faux leather in the e46, can you confirm this or is it just the angle of the photo?

Thanks
To me the X5 (E53) wheel I bought "feels" exactly the same both the touch and grip as the M3 wheel in my wife's car. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
677 Posts
it doesn't look that bad actually. and fyi i am haven't done it. but i can see some ppl in colder climates wanting it without the trouble of retrofitting an e39 steering wheel.
I'm gonna have to post a nonsense flag on this one. I mean, who buys a BMW and does things the easy way? I mean, come on!:p

Just joshin' oh and on my previous post I meant the E39 wheel, not the E53 wheel. Looking back with that information in mind, the post sounds rather foolish.

Anyway, when the wheel arrives, I'm going to get this underway. Thanks again everyone! Without this site I'd have dumped so much more money into my car than I needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Except that the slip ring is blank on the backside. The one you need to order has the 2 pins for the heating wire to attach to. So the wire is there, and the slip ring is there, and the wire plugs into the slip ring, but it's blank where you need two pins to be.. My car is an 06..maybe they changed it somewhere along the way ..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I understand the difference -- I even took my airbag off to see if i had those two pins (i don't). But there MUST be a different part number for the switch column/slip ring! Is there any chance it's #2 on this page?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand the difference -- I even took my airbag off to see if i had those two pins (i don't). But there MUST be a different part number for the switch column/slip ring! Is there any chance it's #2 on this page?
I wouldnt guess.. Call Tischer BMW in MD and ask them 888-471-7849.
They are pretty good about providing part numbers (and good prices too).
I cant tell by that schematic from BMWOEM so there must be another section for upgrades or retrofit that we're missing. They are open on Sat, so give em a call.

Good luck
Ed

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.