BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 3M Headlight restoration kit they sell at Avanced Auto Parts.
It was about 18$ bucks. It came with
- Disc Pad Holder
6 - 500 grit pads
4 - 800 grit pads
1 - 3000 grit Trizact pad
1 - buffing pad
1 - packet of polishing compound

And a electric drill, i used a corded one. There is no way a battery operated dill will last.

First step was to pull the trim and corner markers off of the car, then pop the latches that hold the head light lens in place. They come off very very easy.
Mine were in very bad shape.

Then i took the supplied 500 grit pads and started sanding, i sanded problaly for about 20mins with the 500 grit on each lens.

Then i washed them off very well and then started with the 800grit did the same thing for about 15min on each. After each step when you wash them you can tell if you need to sand more, if you still have discoloration and scratches after using the 800grit. You need to go back and repeat with the 500grit.

Then use the 3000grit pad, it helps to add some water. use this pad for about 10 min on each. Wash them both good and let dry.

Only use a small amount of the polishing compound, if you use to much you will have it everywhere. Use the suppled buffing head, and a small quarter sized glob of compound. Then polish for about 5 or so minutes, i had to do this step twice.

And this is after is it all finished. Looks 100% better, and it costs under 20$ bucks.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Looks good! Thanks for the DIY!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thats definitely one way to save some coin. I bought new lenses for the front and I did that to my tails. Chalk one up to the DIY.

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,378 Posts
very nice
I didn't think it was possible to make them look that good again

·
Registered
500 Posts
Does taking off this outer layer of slightly oxidized and pitted plastic potentially leave the lense *more* susceptible to oxidation again? Or is taking this layer off effectively giving the lens a new life?

and is the finish just as good as it came from the factory? i can't tell if there is slight cloudiness or anything from the pictures...

and nice job!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Nice job! +1 on the plug-in drill. I used my battery-powered drill once and it lasted maybe 2-3 minutes of hard pressure.

·
Premium Member
20,929 Posts
damn, cant believe i missed this one. was thinking about buying new lenses yesterday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts