E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY Gone Awry;)UUC

Ok so my brother buys me the guages for Xmas e36 oops:sad:
But finaly the right ones arrive:)

I'm thinkin' ok so I have a couple of hours this afternoon I'll put them in following the directions on the website...piece of cake right. :banghead: The pin to the speedo needle pulls right out with the needle while all of the others have stayed in the cluster.
We are thinking no problem just put it back in and reset using the calibration instructions.
Paint needles with Shaprie...Cut off these nasty looking things and rlepace with the OEM(3M tape)

I also cut off the green turn sig tabs and replaced them with OEM as well.
Install Guages: piece of cake goes right back in... wire it up test the lights Wa...La.. Guages!

Pull out of my friends garage and
NO SPEEDOMETER :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Turns out the needle is broken....
Part II to follow...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry too many pics I guess
This is where the fun starts. Take everything apart. try to fix but it is FUBAR. so My friend that runs a wireless shop says All the guage mech's are the same, lets switch out the MPG guage mech for the speedo's. Im like F*#@ it there is no chance of warranty after my cutting up the old guage face and painting the needles. Go for it! He de- soders and resoders them back to the board. MPG guage just shows 0 all the time now untill I find a new mech. Its such BS anyway. While I hade the cluster out I moved My 8500's remote display up to the pod as well.

Plug in go for a drive... its dark by now... COOL:thumbup:

Thanks Todd:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
That really sux bout the needle, I dunno if that can be fixed or if they need a complete replacement cluster to get everything working again. Arent the clusters around $400-500? On the slightly bright side if you do have to get a dash cluster you can get the one from the 330 so you get the genuine silver guage rings:pimpin:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are sure it can be fixed by finding the same mech, as we aready switched them out as a test. now I just need to replace the bad one... Anyone know where to get one? (the white round disks on the back ot the circut boad) I am going to call some body shops to see if they have any laying around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts