BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that the exterior trim just comes off but i of course do now want to break it. Anyone seen a DIY on it or have some instructions. Thanks.

XcvX

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea this is really needed

I can't believe it! Out of all the DIY projects I have searched the Internet for a DIY to remove the esterior trim. I can't find one either, so any help would be helpful.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're talking about the trim around the windows.... it's not too hard. I have a coupe so these instructions will be a little different than for a sedan:

For the trim that sits under the front windows: Open the door... and pull it up. It's held in by a metal strip that sits beside the window glass.

For the trim that is under the rear small windows: It is stuck on by double stick tape and there's almost no way you can get it off without destroying it. It's pretty cheap, so just buy new ones. (approx $25)

For the finisher trim above the windows: First, you're going to need to take out the rear windows. Remove the panel that sits in front of the seatbelt pulley. It just pulls off (might need a screw driver to pry it). Remove the arm from the rear of the window by popping off the little plastic cap and sliding the arm out of the bracket. This will make more sense when you start doing it. Then, go back to that panel where the seatbelt was... Take out those two bolts. MAKE SURE SOMEONE IS HOLDING THE WINDOW! The window will just pop out (fall off) now. Now, under the weather stripping all the way around the door/window you will see a bunch of screws. I think there are 14 or 15 of them total. Start at the front and work your way back.

Obviously, to put it back on, just do this backwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The door bumber trim not window trim

Thanks for the response but I am refering to the black door trim that runs along the rear and front bumper, and along the door.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have removed them before.
the front and back are easy, just pull, they come off, and they don't brake
The side is a little harder. Take a screwdriver (wrap the end in something so you don't scratch the car)
pry one end and slowly pry the brackets loose. Each piece of trim is held by little brackets, they go into little holes in the door.
You will brake some of them, specially if your car is older.

Go to the dealership and buy a bunch, they are like 60 cents a piece or something or maybe $1. Don't forget the little rubber condom looking thing for the brackets also. like $10 cents a piece.

Pm me if you need any help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wrapped mine in 3M tape, don't like the result at all.
Will repaint them this week...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was going to do this...why don't you like the result? Do you have any pics of how it turned out? How many little clips did you break? Do you only need the clips for the sides panels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts