E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
true or false - can you reuse a used pressure plate/flywheel/clutch from same donor car without touching the SAC pressure plate?
True. I transfered the whole pack from one engine to another. No need to reset the adjusting plate for the clutch since it's the same clutch you're using, hence same spacing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
I thought that the moment you took the pressure plate off, it auto adjusted to the end of its travel.
thats what i thought too thats why i asked the question as one forum member confirm via PM that if its the same clutch/pressure plate/flywheel you do not have to reset the SAC (pressure plate)..

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,763 Posts
If you remove a pressure plate after its already been in use, you have to get a new one. Sometimes people 'reset' them but you should not use more than 2 clutches with one pressure plate because the pressure plate wears out as well

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you remove a pressure plate after its already been in use, you have to get a new one. Sometimes people 'reset' them but you should not use more than 2 clutches with one pressure plate because the pressure plate wears out as well
Good to know. Ill probably get a new one when I switch clutches. For now, I'll stick with the original. Drives just fine.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,763 Posts
nope.. if you have a rear main seal done then you will buy a new clutch and PP? dont think so..
There is a reason that the SAC says to not remove once the center is released. Warranty will be void.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,763 Posts
Yes you can use the method in this thread to reset it, but you cannot just use the same pressure plate forever and only replace clutches.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There is a reason that the SAC says to not remove once the center is released. Warranty will be void.
and that is why there's a special tool created by BMW so it can be reused :p

anyways here is the actual BMW tool in action. guy replaced his rear main seal on an M5 and reused his clutch and PP.

https://youtu.be/qIf5nbjFFJI?t=3m30s

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,763 Posts
Yeah these things are weird. I wonder if there are any worthwhile quality aftermarket pressure plates we can use. Would be cost saving in the long run, minus the ability of the self adjustment.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
true or false - can you reuse a used pressure plate/flywheel/clutch from same donor car without touching the SAC pressure plate?
True. I transfered the whole pack from one engine to another. No need to reset the adjusting plate for the clutch since it's the same clutch you're using, hence same spacing.

I thought that the moment you took the pressure plate off, it auto adjusted to the end of its travel.
Does it? When I took mine off the adjusting springs didn't move out of place and it stayed at its initial travel.

When you remove the center plate, it will spring into place
I will answer my own question as i confirmed its TRUE just a few days ago.. you can transfer a used flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc without adjusting the SAC. put 100+ miles so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NaySayers!...Hummmphh!

To the NaSayers who keep chiming in to tell Us How We shouldn't be needing to, nor want to be able to do this.

Saying That you should always toss the PPlate and put an new one on in every situation. I say Bull#$%^!

I Just installed a whole new LUK set! But the New rear Main seal & Gasket for some reason failed to seal. So I am having to do this exact process!

And I Be Damn if I'm tossing a brand new installed Pressure Plate that's only got 30mi on it cause he says so!

I had kept the Disposable Locking Plate with the little Hex Hole in the center of it

& the little BoltwDoubleNuts concoction I rigged up to twist it out with..

You know the thing to be removed only after a New Pressure Plate is bolted on as per the Instructions. Well I am so glad I kept it!

And it works perfectly to reset and lock a Pressure plate back in its factory shipped position allowing you to then unbolt the PPlate

and set it aside in that pre-prepped state! Just like it came in the box to begin with.

Using those pieces in conjunction with the 3 Jawed puller I was able to press the fingers back in and twist the locking plate back into its shipping position,

but then also completely reset the autoadjuster ring back to Factory 0 position!

Then remove the 3 Jawed puller leaving the PPlate reset back to its NEW State!

And All this with it still bolted onto the Flywheel!

I will be unbolting the PPlate and Flywheel in the morning to see where the slight leak is coming from on the Main Block Housing!

I've uploaded the following pictures, please note I Mocked this back up, after completing the job earlier, just to take these photo's... Also I Had to use the Big Screwdriver and SledgeHammer to coax the ring to twist back into its final position You wont be able to just twist it with a wrench back into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
So don't ask why.......but am installing a completely new flywheel, clutch, SAC pressure plate and all the ancillary stuff. Here's the problem. My pressure plate came new with the retaining ring in place. This ring / retainer go removed prior to install.....don't ask why. So I performed and reset using many of the non BMW tools and got the springs back in "new" place using a puller and rotating clockwise. Here is my question. The pressure plate still looks weird in that the pressure plate extends fully out from the PP housing. Shouldn't it be slightly lower than the level where the housing mounts to the flywheel? Something seems not quite right and don't want to damage all new parts. Thanks much!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.