BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2023 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

I am looking at doing something similar in my M3. I have already got my Pi (it is just sat around looking at me). i have an Arduino also so I am looking to try and use this. If anyone has any experience with Arduino and Ibus let me know your experiences.

I am still in the early stages but will keep updated on progress.

My background is more software than hardware, so will be a bit slow on the electronics side.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi all

I am looking at doing something similar in my M3. I have already got my Pi (it is just sat around looking at me). i have an Arduino also so I am looking to try and use this. If anyone has any experience with Arduino and Ibus let me know your experiences.

I am still in the early stages but will keep updated on progress.

My background is more software than hardware, so will be a bit slow on the electronics side.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
An Arduino is basically an Atmel AVR that's a bit more powerful than the processor I used. I guess you could use it, but you still need to translate the 12V ibus into what-ever voltage Arduino runs at - you can't plug it straight in. Then write your own (non-trival) firmware.

If you really want a shortcut and simplified version, then use a Resler USB interface straight to the R.Pi (google Resler IBUS). It would miss some features though like reverse-camera switching & automatic power on/off.

From public & private messages I think about 3-4 people are trying to reproduce my project. The pattern seems to be the all know software but struggle a bit with electronics. Who'll win the race to get it working first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
An Arduino is basically an Atmel AVR that's a bit more powerful than the processor I used. I guess you could use it, but you still need to translate the 12V ibus into what-ever voltage Arduino runs at - you can't plug it straight in. Then write your own (non-trival) firmware.

If you really want a shortcut and simplified version, then use a Resler USB interface straight to the R.Pi (google Resler IBUS). It would miss some features though like reverse-camera switching & automatic power on/off.

From public & private messages I think about 3-4 people are trying to reproduce my project. The pattern seems to be the all know software but struggle a bit with electronics. Who'll win the race to get it working first?
Thank you for the reply.
After further research I think I will be going down the Resler route and just write some code to interface with it.

I have already got my PI setup with XBMC and a wireless dongle installed so that I can Airplay straight from my phone.

Going to order a USB interface in the next couple of days.

I will keep the updates coming ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rear end

Jeeze, you're a tough taskmaster, I only just got the basics going. It was slow because there was a stuck program running in the background on the Raspberry Pi, I've solved that now. It's about 3-4 times quicker when clicking things.

The hardware has power even if you lock the car, just gotta add some software that gracefully shuts down after ~5 mins of inactivity.

Sure I'll make you one. It took me 6 months, so the invoice will be $50,000 or so (though there's $10 worth of parts on the board :). If you're handy with a soldering iron and have lots of patience I can give you the plans.
Sorry to bother you guys but is there anyway I can view a monitor from the rear. nicgala Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello) i am from Russia) and sorry for my English=) I install raspberry pi in my e38, connect video to RV Camera input, audio instead of TAPE and hand made Ibus adapter. I install cis-ibus and it work very well, but it slow and i want to use XBMC) can i use your pibus software in my case? can i switch between bmw menu and xbmc with MODE button (XBMC in TAPE mode)?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hello) i am from Russia) and sorry for my English=) I install raspberry pi in my e38, connect video to RV Camera input, audio instead of TAPE and hand made Ibus adapter. I install cis-ibus and it work very well, but it slow and i want to use XBMC) can i use your pibus software in my case? can i switch between bmw menu and xbmc with MODE button (XBMC in TAPE mode)?
Not without modifying the pibus software a lot. It looks for the text "CDC 1-04" to switch the video and keyboard. It also does cd-changer emulation, you'd have to disable it. It also does re-transmit on the ibus, who knows if your adapter needs it, is it a TH3122 or something custom?

Unless you can program in C, the short answer would be no. Have you tried openBM on some German forums?

·
Registered
8 Posts
you have cd changer emulation? if i connect audio instead of CD changer (with S/PDIF) there is a chance it will work?

OpenBM have not switch MODE between BMW menu and xbmc, gateaway works well, but i can not use radio, TV, Navi etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
you have cd changer emulation? if i connect audio instead of CD changer (with S/PDIF) there is a chance it will work?

OpenBM have not switch MODE between BMW menu and xbmc, gateaway works well, but i can not use radio, TV, Navi etc.
Yes it has cdc emulation. It might work. My car doesn't have S/PDIF or a DSP, so I'm not sure - I use analog CDC input. What is your hand-made ibus interface? How do you control pin 17 (NTSC trigger)?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
openelec do not work with COM-USB adapter? hl-340. no /dev/ttyUSB0=(((
OpenELEC doesn't have many drivers for extra hardware. Maybe try Raspbian? Or build my simple ibus interface straight to the PI's pin header, no drivers needed:

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
A few people are asking where to buy all the parts to build this thing. :hmm:
There is an Excel spreadsheet on my webpage listing all the parts - this is more accurate than the schematic diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

just found this project and I'm really excited about it.
I own a Range Rover l322, which is manufactured by BMW and equipped with the same radio.
Currently I have a MK3 navigation, but I'm planning to upgrade to a MK4 soon.

Do you know if this system would work with a DSP amp? I Don't have a coax-connection on my CD-changer.

I'm a software engineer and as a hobby I like to play around with electronics. I wouldn't mind to do some hacking on it before it works.

thanks!
Theo

61 - 80 of 2023 Posts