E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Jeeze, you're a tough taskmaster, I only just got the basics going. It was slow because there was a stuck program running in the background on the Raspberry Pi, I've solved that now. It's about 3-4 times quicker when clicking things.

The hardware has power even if you lock the car, just gotta add some software that gracefully shuts down after ~5 mins of inactivity.

Sure I'll make you one. It took me 6 months, so the invoice will be $50,000 or so (though there's $10 worth of parts on the board :). If you're handy with a soldering iron and have lots of patience I can give you the plans.
I'm quite handy with the solder, would love to see the plans for it!

·
Registered
955 Posts
GROM? I use pin 13 on the white plug of the TV module to input video and the CD changer for audio-in.

I don't really have any plans, just a schematic, board & incomplete software. If you really want a blank board, PM me your address and I'll stick one in an envelope. It shouldn't be underestimated what would be involved to build it:

1) Buy a Raspberry Pi.
2) Find a store to buy all the necessary parts (some surface mount, some thru hole).
3) Program the ATTiny microcontroller (you can buy a programmer on ebay for $5 from Hong Kong).
4) Buy a switch-mode power supply board from ebay - $2 and solder it on.
5) Play around with lots of little connectors/RCA cabling etc.
6) Find a way to mount it (in a box?).
7) Realise that the software is a work in progress and probably lacks the features you expect. Source code is available though.

Maybe these photos will put you off:
Where abouts in melbourne are you? I'd love to see it in action and that doesn't scare me too much haha

·
Registered
955 Posts
I like your innovative idea as a whole however it has one drawback. Since you're targeting those who wish not to change the factory look, the crowd you're left with are people who already have a navi unit or got one for dirt cheap since a used one costs so much it can't be justified. The solution for the rest is to go with an aftermarket touchscreen and even better has the capability to allow the mirroring capabilities of your phone. Like my pioneer app radio 2 it gives full access to everything on my galaxy s3 or iPhone 4. It's like an extension and enlarged version of my phone in front of me. I paid $230 for it but it was a previously opened item at best buy

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Most of the E46's in Australia have a Television Module and Monitor...well they came standard on all 330ci/i 's and most m3's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts