BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Helped drop my buddy (moddede46) car on a long cold night. before and after pics...:thumbsup: Tried to convince him to get coils and aggressive wheels for a mean stance.

As some requested, here's a short DIY.
Before

Tools
  1. A good set of socket and wrenches. (Dont remember sizes)
  2. Jacks & Jackstand
  3. Spring Compressor (Only need it for the fronts. You can rent them at your local autostore)
Getting started
  • Rear
I started off with the rear suspension since its so easy. I only had 2 jack stands so I did 2 at a time.
  1. Loosen your rear lugs before jacking up your car.
  2. Jack up your car and place the stands on the jack points.
  3. Take off your lugs and wheels.
  4. Now you should see your OEM springs. In order for you to get the spring out you would need to unscrew the lower shock bolt.
  5. If the brake line is in the way, Thanks Bert.
    one thing i would suggest for the rears since i was down there last week replacing my Rear bushings, is to take loose the 10 or 12mm bolt that holds the break line so you wont damage it while trying to get the spring out. ;)
  6. Have someone press down on the trailing arm(where the spring sits) and remove the spring. Remember which way the spring is suppose to sit. Remove the bushing, top and bottom on the OEM ones and insert it into your new ones. Reinstall everything back together in reverse order. Lower shock bolt (need a jack to align it),wheels, tighten lugs and your done. Repeat on the other side.

• Fronts
  1. Loosen your front lugs before jacking up your car.
  2. Jack up your car and place the stands on the jack points.
  3. Take off your lugs and wheels.
  4. Look at the bottom end of your shock, theirs a bolt that you need to unscrew.
  5. Next is the end links that you have to loosen in order to remove the shock. Either loosen the bottom or top. You would have to get a wrench and hold the back side while unscrewing the front with a socket.

6. Remove the 3 nuts on the shock tower and you ready to pull out the whole assembly.
  7. Get your spring compressor and start compressing.
  8. After you compress enough where you think the bolt wont shoot out, loosen the nut thats under the cap on top of the assy. DONT PUT YOUR FACE IN THE WAY! You may get hurt when removing the nut.
  9. Now the nut is removed, remove the accesories and remember what order thier in and remove spring.
  10. Uncompress the spring and insert the new spring into the shock and compress it. Make sure its align properly.
  11. This might be a lil tough but after you compress your new spring insert the accesories in order and tighten the nut back in.
  12. Uncompress and reinstall your whole suspension in reverse order and your complete! Sorry didnt take enough pics, just a lil guidence for you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you even need spring compressors for the rear? it looks like you could slide them right in if you get the car high enough to pull the rear trailing arm down...

·
Registered
187 Posts
do you even need spring compressors for the rear? it looks like you could slide them right in if you get the car high enough to pull the rear trailing arm down...

Yeah, you do not need one for the rear. I just had someone push down my ta down and I slid them in (no ****)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congrats! That drop looks like Race springs, however my sport springs are Red so not all sports are black. I would get new shocks....:)

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Yeah, you do not need one for the rear. I just had someone push down and I slid it in (no ****)
Sounds like rape :eeps:

·
Registered
209 Posts
one thing i would suggest for the rears since i was down there last week replacing my Rear bushings, is to take loose the 10 or 12mm bolt that holds the break line so you wont damage it while trying to get the spring out. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts