E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Its my first post here. Let me give you a low down on my issue at hand :
After reading on how to change the interior trim of the car, I bought a walnut trim wood set from ebay. So I went about fitting everything around 2 weeks ago, other than the steering wheel insert. It all went absolutely fine. Then yesterday, I went about fitting the steering wheel trim part after carefully reading the instructions on my330i.com website. Well to fit the steering wheel wood trim, I had to disconnect the battery, so that airbag etc wont go off on my face.

As I removed the negative wire from the battery, accidently the 10' nut holding the wire on the -ve contact, fell between the battery and the car's side wall. There isnt enough gap to stick ones finger, so I tried to find it with a stick/ adhesive tape etc. And in the process, the nut fell further under the plate holding the battery ! So I patiently went about and removed the plates holding the battery from the top, and then removed 3 screws from the plate below the battery as well and got that nut finally back.

Now here is the question part ...
Now, as I was putting the battery etc back, I just noticed a pipe (or rather a hollow tube) about 18-20 cm long, with a diameter of about 0.5 cm. It seems to come from the side wall under the side-carpets (probably am using the wrong term here). i.e: just above the battery's top most part. And it seems to extend a few cms down, probably till behind the battery ?

It was kind of like black in color, with a grey inside. It had no wires inside, and hence I was confused from where it had snapped out from. :banghead:. or whether this pie was there in design, prob to sump fuel or something ..

btw the car starts and runs as normal. The OBC didnt show any problem, but I am not that confident of taking the car out for a long spin !

Any thoughts on what it could be ? :huh:

thanks guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's the vent tube for the battery. Since the battery's located in the trunk, it has to be equipped with a vent so that it can release its fumes to the outside rather than into the passenger compartment. If you look on your battery there will be a place for that tube to attach. Just plug it back on and you're all set.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Exactly what he said. ^
:thumbsup:

Funny, I dropped the nut holding my negative cable under that tray too and was too lazy to get it. Instead, I found a nut in the garage that fit, but was a wrong thread pattern. it went all the way down till it was flush with the top of the bolt, but wouldn't go down far enough to secure the bolt. So I stacked like 4 washers on there until it fit. :rofl:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.