BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing several friends diff swaps.I decided to get a 3.38 from a 330 auto to replace my 2.93 oem in my 328i.. For diff removal DIY follow Syce46 excellent DIY. In my case, since a 330 has a 6 bolt front flange and longer..it was necessary to swap front flanges.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145570&highlight=syce46
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2157730&postcount=32

Tools: I am fortunate enough to work at a dealer, but this can be done with these tools:

a) 1 1-1/4" 1/2 drive socket (or 30mm)
b) Flat screw driver
c) Slidehammer

1) After removal, I marked the front nbut and pinion with Red paint to re-align correct position upon re-install and proper torque so that I wouldn't damage crush collar

2) Pry over the lock ring tabs on front flange with a med screwdriver.. remove with needle nose pliers.. I had a airgun avail, so I simply removed the front 30mm pinion nut ( if you don't have avail..loosen this nut while diff is still in car with handbrake on after fr driveshaft removal)

3) Gentle tap with a hammer and woodblock front flange will slide off, also have a rags avail as diff fluid will leak

4) Perform same on new differental as described. retorque front nut to line up with the red marking you make prior to removal.. then install a NEW lock ring and peen the edges over to secure

5) For those who need to swap side output flanges also. 2 methods are avail
a) Use 2 med length prybars covered with rags to not damage side seals.. have someone secure the diff while gently prying outwards..these are simply held in wih internal spring lock clips..
b) Bolt up a small slide hammer with I believe a 10mm bolt.. pull back on the slide hammer and they come out easier..again have rags avail for spillage

Re-assemble and your ready to re-install your new diff ratio back into your car!! *** PLZ make sure you use proper jacks while under car***

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to also mention, you can also put a small amt of Loctite Blue on pinion shaft threads during nut re-torque.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i did all of this and im hearing alittle bit of banging...it happens only once....when i go from forward to revers it will do it, and the same when going from reverse to forward....my tranny is manual...and its not the subframe problem, i checked.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you either have to re-check torque on your driveshaft & halfshaft bolts, or front flange needs to be re-torgued more to take up pinion free play.. or if diff is used..has excess play\backlash and requires adjustments.

shortyz918 said:
i did all of this and im hearing alittle bit of banging...it happens only once....when i go from forward to revers it will do it, and the same when going from reverse to forward....my tranny is manual...and its not the subframe problem, i checked.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
:bump: nice info for those who are swapping their diffs nowadays..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know this thread is probably burried down already, but I just got a question... to remove those flanges all you need to do is pry them off? any other things should I do before doing so? like i.e. draining the fluid or removing some seals (coz if I remember it right there's a seal in there), need to replace mine coz the bolts sheered off on it coz the previous owner didn't use the right bolts and now parts of the bolts is stuck on the flange.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts