1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea! More DIY's

This Ones Pretty Easy its 5 bolts per brake and 1 Spring

2 16mm (the caliper to hub)
2 Small Allen Keys (the outer caliper to inner caliper)
1 Smaller Allen Key (the front of Rotor to Hub)
1 Spring (holds in outer pad)
1 Hammer (hit the rotor with the ball side of the hammer)
4 New Zimmerman Rotors

4 New sets of Pads
2 New Brake Sensors (or you can do what I did and splice the wires together)

Car on Lift (you don't need a lift to do this)

Fronts First...Wheels Off

Take out the two 16mm Bolts There on the back of the Caliper

Pry the caliper off (feel free to hit the rotor with a hammer to help loosen things up)

Hit the rotor with a hammer a few times right where this bolt is and then loosen the bolt

Rotor comes off and clean up the hub

New Rotor Goes on and tighten the bolt (see that was easy)

Take the pads out of the caliper and slide two pieces apart (stationary section and sliding section)

Take the two Allen bolts off

Clean em up on the grinder

MMM yummy

Put the caliper on with the two 16mm bolts.

Push the piston back into the caliper (there is a special tool for this but I'm not that special.....so big wrench really does it just fine)

Now put the pads in that piece and put it in place

Now your fresh allens can go back in (theres lil black caps that cover these bolts)

MMM passenger side done!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to Mention the spring goes on the outside you see its there^^^^

The Driver Side is the same Procedure..!....Except theres the Sensor

You can replace it to make your light go out if its worn down really low
or you can cut off the end and splice the wires together. I didn't order one but I probably will later.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now the rears are basically the same.

To help get the rotors off I hit them first and lossend the small allen bolt before I took the caliper off.

Now take out those 16mm bolts.

I hit my wrench with the wood part of a hammer to break them loose

After you pry off the caliper Now you can take the rotor all the way off

Clean up the hub.

WTFF okay the e-brake is a drum brake whatever. So you have to adjust the auto adjuster to make it small...Theres a tool to measure the diameter of the shoes then the diameter of you hub to make the right adjustments but we didn't have it so just do trial and error....the rotor is sopposed to fit over the shows snuggly!

Snug

Clean these up again

Put on the caliper with the 16mm's

Compress that piston

Pads in Ready for the allen bolts

Hand tighten then wrench tighten

Spring on the outside and your done

Now the Passenger Side Rear has a sensor. (this sensor was not worn down so we put it back in there...it has a lil clip that keeps it in place.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So lets make this clear there are 2 sensors Front Driver and Rear Passenger.

Now i was thinkin about doing a DIY: wheel aligment.. :idea: :mischief: :excited: :hmm: but being how the machine and aligment rack cost well over $25,000 its not really a diy job :shhh:

You start by torquing all your wheels to 80ftlbs. and i put 36psi in the rear and 32 psi in the front

Then on go the sensors

and the rest is history

mmmm

·
Registered
41 Posts
i was thinking about getting rotors off a friend and doing this for the fronts. besides the rotors, there aren't any other required parts like bolts except the tools correct? just like changing out brakes pads? I'm not sure what the sprints you mention are for? Will I see it when i remove the calipers? I think i will give this a try. at least remove and reassemble ^^
thanks for the write up.
-p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there one spring on the outside of each caliper, its just this 5 inch long metal thing that keeps the out brake pad snug, ull see it

i wouldn't recommend putting on news rotors and keeping your old pads....there bound to sqweek....and if the rotors are used i would get them refinished so they have a flat surface to start with

·
Registered
41 Posts
the rotors are used but like less than a month and plus his pads that he got at the same time. do you think it will be ok?

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for the great write-up.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dont forget to pull the cap off the brake fluid housing before you compress the pistons or you will get air bubbles in the line...

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,378 Posts
never seen this DIY before.

EXCELLENT write up. I need to do mine asap. I haven't done a brake job in years so it was a good refresher

thanks

1 - 20 of 87 Posts