BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have solved the coupe vent's not being one touch close from the factory.

There are 2 parts.

1) Coding your general module
2) Modifying your exsiting switches

1) CODING

You will need someone/indy to code your car to allow one touch close on your rear vents. This is under car key memory, and needs to be set to active.

2) SWITCH MODIFICATION

You will need to take apart your swtiches, that's right, you do not need sedan switches!

I figured this out when I compared a set of sedan switches and coupe switches.

Basically, the up and down movement of the switch translates into forward and backward movement. I'll explain later.

Open up the switches, there are these tabs on either side:

Once inside, it'll look like this:

You see what I have highlighted in green? This part here moves in the direction of the green arrow.

Look at the casing. The REAR buttons have this:

Two pieces of vertical plastic molded stopping the SECOND click UP on your rear switches.

Take a dremel and grind it down.

It will look like this:

Put everything back together, and voila.

One touch close rear vents. ;)

3) VIDEOS

This video shows the two notches both up and down, with a closing of rear vent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIUHJp18ii0

This video shows the vent being closed without holding the switch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83YHW2f6jg

-snowcat

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sweet. I only open the rear vents on accident when thinking it was my front window switch. Thanks to this DIY, I don't have to hold on the button to close them. Thanks a bunch. Great writeup.

·
Registered
436 Posts
hell yeah. I was wondering why they did that when the windows are one touch. I assume the coding is done at the dealer? And I have never heard the term "indy". Is that just another term for a performance shop?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yea where would u go for coding? I assume the dealer? I hate holding that damn button up wen everything else is one touch

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Awesome, I'm putting this on my mod list :thumbup:

hell yeah. I was wondering why they did that when the windows are one touch. I assume the coding is done at the dealer? And I have never heard the term "indy". Is that just another term for a performance shop?
indy=independent

·
Registered
436 Posts
^Thanks for the info. I have my trim out for carbon fiber wrap, so I plan to modify the switches while it is apart. then try to get it coded in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sweet. I only open the rear vents on accident when thinking it was my front window switch.
This applies for me as well :lmao:

Thanks to this DIY, I don't have to hold on the button to close them. Thanks a bunch. Great writeup.
As does this :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hmm, I want to do this. I actually like to open he rear vent windows often, but I hate holding the switch when closing them!

Anyone know where to code this in BC?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts